Old 14-08-2004, 11:18 PM
RF

Default Tomato blight in Pa?

Hello,

I am new to gardening. My plants were doing great until 2 weeks ago. All
growth stopped, leaves started turning yellow, and wilting. I backed off
watering at the time, but it didn't help, ( I was watering once a day). Now
I hear this blight is going accross Pennsylvainia.
Here they are...

RF

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0010 (Medium).JPG (102.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0011 (Medium).JPG (102.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0013 (Medium).JPG (58.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 14-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Steveo

"RF" wrote:
Hello,

I am new to gardening. My plants were doing great until 2 weeks ago. All
growth stopped, leaves started turning yellow, and wilting. I backed off
watering at the time, but it didn't help, ( I was watering once a day).
Now I hear this blight is going accross Pennsylvainia.
Here they are...

Looks like white fly.
Old 15-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Timothy

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:18:42 +0000, RF wrote:

Hello,

I am new to gardening. My plants were doing great until 2 weeks ago. All
growth stopped, leaves started turning yellow, and wilting. I backed off
watering at the time, but it didn't help, ( I was watering once a day).
Now I hear this blight is going accross Pennsylvainia. Here they are...

RF

This is most likely NOT blight. The larger leaves are the ones that have
turned yellow. This is a sign of low nitrogen levels. The plant will
'steal' nitrogen from older leaves so younger ones can be produced. In the
third photo, one can plainly see aphids. The plant's fluids are being
consumed by these creatures. As far as the slowing of the plant's growth,
this could be due to the season starting to come to a close. The days are
becoming shorter and the plant is trying to ripen it's fruit.

What I would reccommend:
1 Fertilize the plant with liquid fertilizer. Not heavily. Too much will
cause the plant more stress.
2 Remove the aphids. Purchase an insecticidal soap (I use consurn...
wrong spelling?). Use as directed. It may take a few times to clean all of
them off.
3 Pinch off the younger, non-producing stems. No reason to grow stems that
will never produce fruit. Remove all dead leaves.

Good Luck.......

Old 15-08-2004, 03:45 PM
RF

Thank you I will try that...
RF

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
Organic remedy for tomato blight ? Peter Richards United Kingdom 37 22-10-2003 06:22 AM
Tomato blight rile Edible Gardening 4 18-05-2003 11:20 PM
Tomato Early Blight problems gary Texas 0 08-05-2003 02:44 PM
Tomato blight Janet Margaret Castle Gardening 3 01-05-2003 06:20 AM