Old 25-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Janet Margaret Castle

Default Tomato blight

For the past few years my tomato plants have been increasingly sickly. I
have tried moving the location but have a small garden so the
possibilities are limited. Almost a failed crop last year convinced me
that I must either treat the soil or not plant tomatoes. I really do want
to keep the tomatoes but have no idea what can be done to keep them
healthy. If you have suggestions, they would be appreciated! Many
thanks.
Old 25-04-2003, 03:44 PM

solarize the soil OR
get bags of sheep manure. cut an X in the bottom to let water drain, cut a couple X
in the top and plant tomatoes and/or peppers. plant in the bag. OR
get some containers, mix manure and soil mix, plant in there.
seriously use drip irrigation get one of those automatic watering things so there is
even moisture all summer. if planted in plain dirt fertilize all summer long. I
notice a huge difference one summer between plants planted in the dirt far away vs
plants planted near the compost bins. Ingrid

(Janet Margaret Castle) wrote:
For the past few years my tomato plants have been increasingly sickly. I
have tried moving the location but have a small garden so the
possibilities are limited. Almost a failed crop last year convinced me
that I must either treat the soil or not plant tomatoes. I really do want
to keep the tomatoes but have no idea what can be done to keep them
healthy. If you have suggestions, they would be appreciated! Many
thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Play4aBuck

Janet Margaret Castle wrote in message ...
For the past few years my tomato plants have been increasingly sickly. I
have tried moving the location but have a small garden so the
possibilities are limited. Almost a failed crop last year convinced me
that I must either treat the soil or not plant tomatoes. I really do want
to keep the tomatoes but have no idea what can be done to keep them
healthy. If you have suggestions, they would be appreciated! Many
thanks.

I know how you feel, I've been there, done that. I tried the blight plants
sprays that didn't work.

You simply need to KEEP the SOIL OFF the plants!! It's that simple. I've
not had a blight problem in over 10 years.

During heavy rains, dirt will splash on to the plants causing the blight.
This dirt should be washed off ASAP when noticed. But better yet, is to
just prevent the dirt from getting on the plants.

Here are two ideas that have worked for me.

1) After planting surround your tomatoes with a 2-3 inch ring of mulch, I
like red-cedar tree mulch. Then outside of that ring, spread a 2-3 foot
ring of grass clippings, a thin layer thick enough so that you don't see the
dirt. I also spread grass clippings in all the open areas, but this is
optional (this keeps down the weeds and fertilizes the plants and as it
decomposes). It also helps keep the soil from drying out. The grass
clippings can burn your plants, so don't allow it to touch your plants
directly. I do use clippings around my onions and potatoes but very
carefully.

2) I tried this the last two years and it's works but it's more trouble.
Unfold a large piece of newspaper and cut a hole about the size of your open
hand in the middle. Plant your tomatoes in the center and cover the edges
of the paper with dirt to prevent it from moving. Then fill in between the
paper and the plant with tree mulch. You can also put grass clippings on
the paper to help hold it down, but use dirt on the edges.

Cheers,
Jim

[IMG] code is On

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
Organic remedy for tomato blight ? Peter Richards United Kingdom 37 22-10-2003 06:22 AM
Tomato blight Angi Edible Gardening 5 22-07-2003 01:22 PM
Tomato blight rile Edible Gardening 4 18-05-2003 11:20 PM
Tomato Early Blight problems gary Texas 0 08-05-2003 02:44 PM