Old 24-08-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Cub Cadet and other Walk Behind Hydro mowers

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 48" dual hydro walk behind mower to replace
my aging Byers Gold. I've had the Byers for 8 or so years and was
extremely happy with it's performance and reliability.

As Byers no longer exists I have been scouring the net and making phone
calls for well over a week and have narrowed my selection to one of a
few brands in the $4000.00 range. (I really cannot go higher as even
this figure is stretching my budget by about a grand already)

I know most people will strongly suggest John Deere, Scagg, Exmark and
others but they are simply too expensive for me.

I am considering either a Cub Cadet Commercial or Yazoo Keys 48" fixed
deck, walk behind mower (dual hydro).

I have read a lot of discussion about Yazoos being the same as the
Husqvarna and the Cub Cadet Commercial being built by MTD (maker of
several cheaper line mowers - Toro etc).

I have also read that Cub Cadet may have had a negative review from
Consumer Reports about its reliability. Apparently they rated one of
the Cub Cadet mowers second best after the comparable John Deere but one
of the 10 worst (including Snapper) when it comes to ending up in the
shop for repairs.

I'd like to hear from real users who may have experience with either of
these two mowers:

Cub Cadet H1748

Yazoo Keys 48" Kutter Hydro - KHKW 48171 (or their current model)

If the Yazoo is really the same as the Husqvarna I probably will not be
interested. I prefer 'pistol grip' controls as they seem to offer the
most stability while zero turning on the sulky. Husqvarna's 'Easy Touch
System' looks like the controls on a ten speed bike. The controller's
hands are very close together on top of the steering bar. I'm sure I
would not have the stability of pistol grip in high speed turns or
adequate leverage to wrestle the mower out of any potential 'muddy
boggs'.

The Cub Cadet looks like it has most of the features I want but I am
cautious about talk of it's reliability. I'm not quite sure what the
'electric PTO' feature is all about. It sounds as though it could run
extra implements but perhaps it is simply how the blade belt is powered.

I'd really appreciate info from owners/users of either of these two
units.

thanks so much,
--matt
Old 25-08-2004, 01:34 AM
op4_camper

wrote in message
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 48" dual hydro walk behind mower to replace
my aging Byers Gold. I've had the Byers for 8 or so years and was
extremely happy with it's performance and reliability.

As Byers no longer exists I have been scouring the net and making phone
calls for well over a week and have narrowed my selection to one of a
few brands in the $4000.00 range. (I really cannot go higher as even
this figure is stretching my budget by about a grand already)

I know most people will strongly suggest John Deere, Scagg, Exmark and
others but they are simply too expensive for me.

I am considering either a Cub Cadet Commercial or Yazoo Keys 48" fixed
deck, walk behind mower (dual hydro).

Get the floating deck.

I have read a lot of discussion about Yazoos being the same as the
Husqvarna and the Cub Cadet Commercial being built by MTD (maker of
several cheaper line mowers - Toro etc).

I have also read that Cub Cadet may have had a negative review from
Consumer Reports about its reliability. Apparently they rated one of
the Cub Cadet mowers second best after the comparable John Deere but one
of the 10 worst (including Snapper) when it comes to ending up in the
shop for repairs.

Theres two cub cadet one is Cub Cadet Commercial

http://www.cubcommercial.com/BrandHome.jsp

the other is home use
http://www.cubcadet.com/BrandHome.jsp

The commerical ones are pretty good. If i reamber right on there Command Cut
System you can adj. the cut height with a leaver almost on the fly.

The big thing with any brand mower is the dealer. If your cub dealer is
great I wouldnt even worry about it so long as were are talking about
commercial.
Im running a Gravely Hydro Drive, with Electric Start, 17 HP Kawasaki Twin
Engine, 48" Floating Deck.
and for a back up i have the a byers gold 48" 17 Hp kohler belt drive.

The Cub Cadet looks like it has most of the features I want but I am
cautious about talk of it's reliability. I'm not quite sure what the
'electric PTO' feature is all about. It sounds as though it could run
extra implements but perhaps it is simply how the blade belt is powered.

The electric pto is just how you engage the blades. On your byers is was a
pulley that you where moving in place to make the belt tight.
Im not sure how the electric pto works but I just asume is some type of
clucth that is engaged with a solende(sp).
I do know that the electric clucth is expensive to replace if it where to go
bad.
Heres one more mower for you to look at. Its the one I was going to buy but
it wasnt in stock that day and I couldnt wait.
http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/...s/superwb.html

and there smaller one
http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/products/hydro.html
both are the easiest to steer out of all mowers. They say its like steering
a bike.
I hope I have helped some.
Any other questions just fire away.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Danny

I would not put my money into a cub cadet..

If you are going to put that kind of money out, it would be worth it to try
something else, unless they have changed there design in the past few years.

www.askalandscaper.com
wrote in message
[...]

Cub Cadet and other Walk Behind Hydro mowers [email protected] Gardening 0 24-08-2004 11:23 PM
Cub Cadet vs Husqvarna self propelled mowers Tony Sivori Gardening 3 29-04-2004 05:08 PM
Cub Cadet push mower reliability? Greg S. Ragsdale Gardening 13 28-03-2004 03:29 PM
Cub Cadet at Lowes BRN Gardening 20 28-04-2003 08:44 PM
Front tine dethatcher for Cub Cadet 2166? Jeff Guay Lawns 1 13-04-2003 05:33 PM