Old 29-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Bellsouth

Default Hibiscus

I would like to trim my hibiscus back since it is growing too tall for the
area in which it is planted.
It is full of blooms and seems to be full of blossoms all year round. I
live in Northern Florida. I thought about cutting it back in the winter
months, despite the blossoms, but would that be damaging to the plants?
Does it hurt the plants to cut them back while in full bloom? Sandy

Old 29-08-2004, 01:10 PM
dave

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:35:11 -0400, "Bellsouth"
wrote:

I would like to trim my hibiscus back since it is growing too tall for the
area in which it is planted.
It is full of blooms and seems to be full of blossoms all year round. I
live in Northern Florida. I thought about cutting it back in the winter
months, despite the blossoms, but would that be damaging to the plants?
Does it hurt the plants to cut them back while in full bloom? Sandy

Hi I'm in South Fla. The reccomendations I've always heard is cutting
back 1/3 of the plant. I have cut them back as much as half. They
might look bad after a pruning like that but they produce new growth
and branch back out. I won't make any difference if the plant is in
bloom or not. I don't think I'd prune it in the winter. You will be
forcing tender new growth which will get burned if we get a frost.
Old 29-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Bellsouth

Thanks, I think I will prune them soon then. Sandy
wrote:

I would like to trim my hibiscus back since it is growing too tall for

the
area in which it is planted.
It is full of blooms and seems to be full of blossoms all year round. I
live in Northern Florida. I thought about cutting it back in the winter
months, despite the blossoms, but would that be damaging to the plants?
Does it hurt the plants to cut them back while in full bloom? Sandy

Hi I'm in South Fla. The reccomendations I've always heard is cutting
back 1/3 of the plant. I have cut them back as much as half. They
might look bad after a pruning like that but they produce new growth
and branch back out. I won't make any difference if the plant is in
bloom or not. I don't think I'd prune it in the winter. You will be
forcing tender new growth which will get burned if we get a frost.

Yellow hibiscus 23 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:05 AM
Hibiscus-2656 Maroochy Garden Photos 4 01-04-2009 01:11 AM
hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Hibiscus seeds TakeThisOut Gardening 2 20-03-2003 03:44 PM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM