Old 12-09-2004, 03:34 AM
KeithShum

Default 8HP Briggs Flywheel Key Shearing - any ideas?

I have an 8hp Briggs and Stratton riding mower (with no mower deck), and
every time I try to start it the flywheel key shears in half! I can
rotate the engine by hand with no trouble. I have tried using aluminum
and steel keys and they both break. Any help or ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 12-09-2004, 03:57 AM
Larry

"KeithShum" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
I have an 8hp Briggs and Stratton riding mower (with no mower deck), and
every time I try to start it the flywheel key shears in half! I can
rotate the engine by hand with no trouble. I have tried using aluminum
and steel keys and they both break. Any help or ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

A couple thoughts come to mind:
1. Use the correct key (the one that BS calls for by part number) for that
application.
2. Install the flywheel 'dry' and properly torque per BS factory specs.
3. Ensure the proper, balanced blade is installed and torqued.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Larry" wrote in message

"KeithShum" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
I have an 8hp Briggs and Stratton riding mower (with no mower deck), and
every time I try to start it the flywheel key shears in half! I can
rotate the engine by hand with no trouble. I have tried using aluminum
and steel keys and they both break. Any help or ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

A couple thoughts come to mind:
1. Use the correct key (the one that BS calls for by part number) for that
application.
2. Install the flywheel 'dry' and properly torque per BS factory specs.
3. Ensure the proper, balanced blade is installed and torqued.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

I'll second that torque it down part.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
KeithShum

OK thaks for the replies... Ill get the right key and torque the flywheel
down to the proper amount. Thanks, ill let everyone know how it turns
out.

-Keith

Old 8HP Wards Srgnt Billko Lawns 4 11-11-2006 03:31 AM
10 yo Toro 8HP snowblower Srgnt Billko Lawns 12 17-09-2006 02:52 AM
Shearing Perennials Ralph D. Gardening 4 01-09-2004 12:33 PM
Briggs & Strattin Flywheel removal Ron Lawns 2 25-04-2004 02:06 AM
Flywheel / magneto removal Sears Tecumseh engine ? [email protected] Lawns 1 14-04-2003 02:44 AM