Old 18-10-2004, 03:31 AM
TP

Default John Deere 135 - no starting

I have a John Deere lawn tractor 135. 14 hp Kaw.. Every once in
a while it won’t start. The key does nothing, no click. dead. If
I jump the main starter terminal and the small terminal next to
it (solenoid) it will turn over and start. Then it could be fine
for the next ten or so starts.
I’ve removed and cleaned all cable connections. Where else
could I look to fix this problem? Key switch, starter, etc…

Thank,
TP
Old 18-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Larry

"TP" wrote in message
I have a John Deere lawn tractor 135. 14 hp Kaw.. Every once in
a while it won’t start. The key does nothing, no click. dead. If
I jump the main starter terminal and the small terminal next to
it (solenoid) it will turn over and start. Then it could be fine
for the next ten or so starts.
I’ve removed and cleaned all cable connections. Where else
could I look to fix this problem? Key switch, starter, etc…

Thank,
TP

I'd get your meter out and check the 'neutral safty switch' and the 'blade
safety switch' for continuity.

Larry

Old 18-10-2004, 03:53 AM
TP

Thanks Larry,
Yes, I checked the safety switches. Even jumped over them for a
few weeks. I’m guessing bad spot in the starter. Only because it
is so intermittent. Just wondering if anyone had a similar
problem, before I start replacing parts.

TP

Old 24-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Eric

Larry wrote:
"TP" wrote in message

I have a John Deere lawn tractor 135. 14 hp Kaw.. Every once in
a while it won?t start. The key does nothing, no click. dead. If
I jump the main starter terminal and the small terminal next to
it (solenoid) it will turn over and start. Then it could be fine
for the next ten or so starts.
I?ve removed and cleaned all cable connections. Where else
could I look to fix this problem? Key switch, starter, etc?

Thank,
TP

I'd get your meter out and check the 'neutral safty switch' and the
'blade safety switch' for continuity.

Larry

Its obviously not the starter, you proved that, why replace it?
You have very nearly proved its the key switch, start there.
Eric

Old 24-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Larry

Larry wrote:
"TP" wrote in message

I have a John Deere lawn tractor 135. 14 hp Kaw.. Every once in
a while it won?t start. The key does nothing, no click. dead. If
I jump the main starter terminal and the small terminal next to
it (solenoid) it will turn over and start. Then it could be fine
for the next ten or so starts.
I?ve removed and cleaned all cable connections. Where else
could I look to fix this problem? Key switch, starter, etc?

Thank,
TP

I'd get your meter out and check the 'neutral safety switch' and the
'blade safety switch' for continuity.

Larry

Its obviously not the starter, you proved that, why replace it?
You have very nearly proved its the key switch, start there.
Eric

Intermittent problems are the toughest to T/S- You have to wait until it's
'broke' to effectively isolate the failed component. Until you actually
locate a failed component, everything else is speculation. The trick is to
use your multimeter to prove your suspicions PRIOR to changing a component
(much cheaper that way).

I'd suggest you have your box of tools ready and the next time the problem
shows, then T/S to a component.

From your description, I WOULD NOT change the starter. By jumpering across
those terminals, you've effectively eliminated the Starter Solenoid, Starter
Switch, Safety Switches, and associated wiring from the circuit- and it
starts! That tells us it's NOT the starter (unless I misunderstood your
description).

Just my 2¢

Larry
Naval Aviation Electrician 'Retired'
20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end
AND safely home again!