Old 20-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Stephen Clark

Default hydroseeding

Hello,
We have recently hydroseeded our new lawn. It is the middle of October and
we live in Massachusetts. For the past week the high temperatures have been
around 55 to 60 degrees with low temps getting down to the low 40's. It has
rained recently, but I am afraid that it may be too cool for the seeds to
germinate.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Truly Concerned

Old 20-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Oscar_Lives

Not only are you Truly Concerned, but you are also Truly ****ed.

Old 20-10-2004, 01:18 AM
GFRfan

Stephen Clark wrote:
Hello,
We have recently hydroseeded our new lawn. It is the middle of October and
we live in Massachusetts. For the past week the high temperatures have been
around 55 to 60 degrees with low temps getting down to the low 40's. It has
rained recently, but I am afraid that it may be too cool for the seeds to
germinate.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Truly Concerned

Did you do the actual seeding or did you contract it?

Yard And Garden Handyman Services
Old 20-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Anonymous

It is awful late in the year for you to be seeding in Massachusetts.
You *might* get lucky and get it to come up. I am surprised that a
professional lawncare company would do hydroseeding this late in the
year. I hope the contract you signed included a guarantee that the
grass will germinate. Most likely you are looking at a do over. I hope
I'm wrong.

Old 20-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Steveo

A do over is tough with hydro..the fiber is in the way for overseeding
unless it's removed. I would have forgone the hydro-fiber this late in the
year.

Old 20-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Chet Hayes

Stephen Clark wrote:
Hello,
We have recently hydroseeded our new lawn. It is the middle of October and
we live in Massachusetts. For the past week the high temperatures have been
around 55 to 60 degrees with low temps getting down to the low 40's. It has
rained recently, but I am afraid that it may be too cool for the seeds to
germinate.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Truly Concerned

I agree. Early sept would have been optimal. The seed needs soil
temps above 50, which usually means daytime temps in the 60s to
germinate. It also needs some time to grow and harden to survive the
winter. Doing it in mid Oct decreases the chances of success
substantially. It's really a probability issue with the weather.

Some of the other factors a

How much sun it gets this time of year. If there are no trees
blocking the southern sky, that helps a lot. Even on cool days, the
sun will warm the earth.

What kind of seed? It's likely it was a mix. Rye grass germinates
fast, 4 days, fescue about 7, blue grass can take several weeks. If
it was a mix containing blue grass, which many mixes contain because
it aids in regrowing/repair, then the blue grass portion is least
likely to get established this late in the season.

If you have leaves, which should be coming down in your area now, they
can be a problem. Difficult to remove on a newly seeded lawn without
damaging the grass and if left block the sun. A blower is probably
the best option.