Old 17-04-2005, 04:31 PM
W.D.

Default overseeding dilemma

I planted an annual ryegrass last Fall on my Atlanta lawn for temporary
winter coverage (the lawn was dirt & weeds before), which came up nicely,
and was told that I'd have to overseed w/a more permanent grass in the
Spring, which I'm about to do today, as the ryegrass would not survive the
summer. The problem is that the ryegrass grows very fast and I'm afraid it
will be 6 inches high before the new grass (Scott's new blend of tall fescue
& heat tolerant Kentucky Bluegrass) has begun to germinate properly. I've
mowed it pretty short to compensate for this but think it will probably need
at least one more mowing before the new grass has even begun to germinate.
Am afraid this will damage the new seedlings. Should I mow anyway when the
rye gets high enough? Or should I wait until the new seedlings are the
recommended 3" high or so (by which time the rye may be towering)?

W.D.

Old 17-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Steveo

"W.D." wdanis at NO SPAM yahoo dot com wrote:
[...]

You'll have to cut it regularly. We do it all the time with our slice
seed jobs without trouble.

Old 17-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Chuck Norris

W.D. wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't worry about the rye, it will die first hot week.
Old 18-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Chuck Norris" wrote in message
news
W.D. wrote:
[...]

As will seedling fescue, unless the original poster has a fair amount of
shade, good soil, and is willing to water the heck out of it. Installing a
fescue lawn in Atlanta during the spring isn't for the faint of heart.