Old 26-04-2005, 02:10 AM
T.D. Hilton

Default Looking for a Weapon in the War Against Mosquitos

Hello All,

I heard tell of a plant/green that can aid in repelling mosquitoes. Is this
true? If so, what is it? I live the second worst state in the country for
these suckers (Delaware) and I need something to keep my yard under control
so my daughter can play without fear of being eaten alive.

Troy

Old 26-04-2005, 04:09 AM
TP

I used a citronella scented gardenia plant a few years ago. It
did have a strong scent.
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...22&btnG=Search

TP

Old 26-04-2005, 04:33 AM
Steveo

I know you did, and so did everyone else.

Lemon thyme works -much- better.

(top posting blows)

TP wrote:
I used a citronella scented gardenia plant a few years ago. It
did have a strong scent.
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...itronella+s c
ented+plant%22&btnG=Search

TP

Old 26-04-2005, 03:16 PM
JoeT

"T.D. Hilton" wrote in message
Hello All,

I heard tell of a plant/green that can aid in repelling mosquitoes. Is
this
true? If so, what is it? I live the second worst state in the country for
these suckers (Delaware) and I need something to keep my yard under
control
so my daughter can play without fear of being eaten alive.

Troy

You might try lemongrass " (cymbopogon citratus) it's a tender perennial,
They don't like to be frozen hence the word tender, can grow to 3-4' tall
and 12-15" spread. In sun, part shade, to shade. Very strong lemon aroma
also used in Thai and eastern cooking. Scent tends to repell mosquitoes.
Essential oils are used in repellent products as alternative to deet
containing products. Check your local nursery for more details availability
and hardiness in your zone.

joe

No war against Indo-Europeans Rod Speed Gardening 2 14-01-2008 04:41 AM
No war against Indo-Europeans Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' ) Gardening 1 13-01-2008 09:20 PM
War against Lily Beetles resumes Sue United Kingdom 13 15-05-2006 07:18 PM
New Anti-vole Weapon! Shiva Roses 9 18-08-2003 05:02 PM
New Anti-vole Weapon! Shiva Gardening 4 11-08-2003 06:07 AM