Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
ADD

Default Giant tree roots above ground

Newbie question. My parents' house's backyard has 2 very large trees
with thick roots that stick above ground 2-3 inches , and radiate
from the base of the tree about 20-30 feet. All the grass underneath
the trees are gone because of the canopy and years of dead leaves.
Took 26 55 gallon garbage bags to dispose of the leaves and small
branches Left behind lots of mulch, though.

Do I get lots of topsoil and cover up the roots? How deep under the
topsoil should the roots be? This is flat ground. For one tree, it is
at the base of a hill.

Also, can anyone recommend grass seed which grows with very little
sunlight?

THanks
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Doug Kanter

"ADD" wrote in message
Newbie question. My parents' house's backyard has 2 very large trees
with thick roots that stick above ground 2-3 inches , and radiate
from the base of the tree about 20-30 feet. All the grass underneath
the trees are gone because of the canopy and years of dead leaves.
Took 26 55 gallon garbage bags to dispose of the leaves and small
branches Left behind lots of mulch, though.

Do I get lots of topsoil and cover up the roots? How deep under the
topsoil should the roots be? This is flat ground. For one tree, it is
at the base of a hill.

Also, can anyone recommend grass seed which grows with very little
sunlight?

THanks

First, explain where you live and what kind of trees they are. And, it might
be good (and free) to call your states cooperative extension service and ask
about those trees.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:02 AM
JoeT

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"ADD" wrote in message
[...]

This last bit is good advice. Depending upon the type of tree (although it's
generally inadvisable for most) covering those roots with soil could damage
and/or possibly even kill the tree. As for the type of grass seed that grows
in little sunlight, that can also be answered by your cooperative extension
since they're intimately familiar with your area, and it could also be
affected by the type of tree. There are some varieties that sap so many
nutrients from the ground as to make it impossible to grow turf grass
beneath them.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"ADD" wrote in message
[...]

And, some trees will send up a network of fine roots into the soil you pile
around them, which ends up defeating your purpose, since not much will grow
in that medium. I think the OP would be better off looking into ground
covers that'll put up with funky soil and not-so-much water. Vinca is one.
Not exciting, but neither is throwing grass seed at a spot where it won't
grow.