Old 15-05-2005, 03:40 PM
nanner

Default Who eats my hostas?

Does anyone know who the culprit is here? By the middle/end of summer our
hostas leaves are all holey and eaten, looks like bugs (not animals) but we
don't know what is doing it or how to treat it.

They've just come in nice and full so if there is something preventative to
do I'd like to find out. I'd prefer something natural over chemical.

We're in Long Island, NY - I think that's zone 6? (not positive - I'm a
total newbie in the garden!)

Old 15-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Mr Mow Town

What's she look like? I may eat her..
Old 15-05-2005, 04:39 PM
- Tom -

"nanner" wrote in message
Does anyone know who the culprit is here?

Slugs

By the middle/end of summer our
hostas leaves are all holey and eaten, looks like bugs (not animals) but
we don't know what is doing it or how to treat it.

Slug bait. "Bug geta" comes to mind.
Shallow bowls of beer. Bury the bowl so that the rim is at ground level.
Try spraying with hot sauce. I wonder how that would work in their slimy
slug bodies. beg

They've just come in nice and full so if there is something preventative
to do I'd like to find out. I'd prefer something natural over chemical.

Uh, forget the bug geta stuff.

We're in Long Island, NY - I think that's zone 6? (not positive - I'm a
total newbie in the garden!)

Google is a newbie's friend.

--
Tom

Old 15-05-2005, 05:10 PM
nanner

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
nanner wrote:

Does anyone know who the culprit is here? By the middle/end of summer our
hostas leaves are all holey and eaten, looks like bugs (not animals) but
we don't know what is doing it or how to treat it.

They've just come in nice and full so if there is something preventative
to do I'd like to find out. I'd prefer something natural over chemical.

We're in Long Island, NY - I think that's zone 6? (not positive - I'm a
total newbie in the garden!)

Deer *love* hostas.

we don't have deer here.
I agree it's slugs.

Old 16-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Big D

WorryFree or Sluggo, slug and snail bait, works for me. And it works good.
Safe for birds and pets too!

Old 16-05-2005, 12:34 PM
nanner

"Big D" wrote in message
WorryFree or Sluggo, slug and snail bait, works for me. And it works good.
Safe for birds and pets too!

thank you - i'll look for those

Old 16-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Rolling Thunder

I've heard a saucer of beer will drown slugs.

Thunder
Old 16-05-2005, 04:46 PM

I agree with the deer theory. They regularly mow mine down real good.
Are you sure you don't have deer? They are very common in the NY metro
area and typically forage at night, when you don't see them.

Old 16-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Mr Mow Town

nanner wrote:
Does anyone know who the culprit is here?

This took all of 2-1/2 seconds to find on google.

Hosta Pests
Slugs and Snails

Slugs and snails are nocturnal foragers and are the most common pest of
hostas. They eat small round holes in the leaves. By beginning an
abatement program early in the spring, slugs may be easier to control.
Look for silvery slime trails in garden beds to determine if slugs are
present. They may be spotted during daylight hours or in the evening by
using a flashlight. Since some plants are more susceptible to slug
injury, check around those particular plants to detect slugs.
Thin-leafed hostas and those with leaves growing close to the ground are
most susceptible to slug injury.

Chemical slug pellets and baits that contain metaldehyde are widely
available commercially, however label directions must be followed
carefully. A new product came on the market in 2000 that shows some
success in slug control; it contains iron phosphate, which is less toxic
to animals and birds than baits containing metaldehyde.

Beer traps are widely used, albeit only moderately successfully. Place a
small shallow container, such as a jar lid, level with the soil and fill
with beer. Slugs are attracted to it, crawl in, and drown.

Other methods can be used, though they show limited success. Copper
strips sold in garden stores and catalogs may be used to surround
plants. The use of gritty materials such as diatomaceous earth scattered
on the soil surface is also used. Other traps may be made by laying wet
newspapers on the ground overnight. Check beneath these the next day to
find slugs that have taken refuge from heat and sun. Kill the slugs by
dropping them into a 10–20% solution of ammonia and water. Salt will
also kill slugs if applied directly to them.
Old 16-05-2005, 08:27 PM
dedmeat

Rolling Thunder wrote:
I've heard a saucer of beer will drown slugs.

Thunder

Tried that once but my better half didn't think I should be using her
favorite beverage.
Old 16-05-2005, 09:33 PM

i would try some liquid seven , reapply after every rain. lucas

Old 16-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Steveo

"nanner" wrote:
"Big D" wrote in message
WorryFree or Sluggo, slug and snail bait, works for me. And it works
good. Safe for birds and pets too!

thank you - i'll look for those

Slug controls work well, but most are not all natural. You will be using
a chemical. (fyi) (even beer is a chemical..hicup)