Old 25-05-2005, 01:01 PM
billw

Default give up on trimmer

I am so tired of hurting my shoulder to get my gas fired trimmer to
start each time, I am getting a rechargeable trimmer for my light trim
work in yard.

any sugestoins on models?

bill
Old 25-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:01:02 GMT, billw wrote:

I am so tired of hurting my shoulder to get my gas fired trimmer to
start each time, I am getting a rechargeable trimmer for my light trim
work in yard.

any sugestoins on models?

bill

Humm, should start in four pulls. Assuming it does run when you
get it started, check your vent on the gas tank. Could be getting
pressure in there that prevents gas getting to the carb. Just
untighten the cap and see if it starts.

Thunder

Old 25-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Pagan

"billw" wrote in message
I am so tired of hurting my shoulder to get my gas fired trimmer to
start each time, I am getting a rechargeable trimmer for my light trim
work in yard.

any sugestoins on models?

I have a Black and Decker 18v model. This thing uses the same batteries as
my power tool set (drill, saws, flashlight) so I already have a few on hand.

These things don't have anything near the power of even a cheap gas trimmer,
but they're pretty handy, especially for the wife when I'm away on business.
This thing is perfect for light work, and the trimmer head rotates 90
degrees for extremely light edging. I've used it for touching up, and for
delicate work around baby trees. You don't even have to bump it for the
line feed. You can also get a hedge trimmer (which works great as well),
and a blower (haven't tried it) that all uses the same batteries, or get
them all in a package. No other rechargeable trimmer has the option of
using the batteries for other things that I know of. You can get them at
Lowes.

If you really like the power of a gas trimmer, you may want to visit Sears.
They have a new 2 cycle trimmer that's supposed to start on the first pull.
I got their 4 cycle trimmer that starts on the 2nd to 4th pull. This one
has the ability to use attachments for edging, hedge trimming, blower,
vacuum, and other stuff.

Pagan

Old 25-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"billw" wrote in message
I am so tired of hurting my shoulder to get my gas fired trimmer to start
each time, I am getting a rechargeable trimmer for my light trim work in
yard.

any sugestoins on models?

bill

What did you to with the motor in terms of maintenance, before putting it
away for the winter?

I have shoulder problems, too, especially when I start my outboard motor
from a sitting position. But, if I stand, all the motion is in my hips. Any
way you could create a bracket of some sort, maybe something part of a
sawhorse, so you can reorganize your motion?

Old 25-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Scott..

"billw" wrote in message
I am so tired of hurting my shoulder to get my gas fired trimmer to start
each time, I am getting a rechargeable trimmer for my light trim work in
yard.

any sugestoins on models?

bill

For small areas you could a pair of long neck grass shears. No pulling, no
gas, no oil, no noise, very little maintenance.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/lonnecgrassh.html

Old 25-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Warren

billw wrote:
I am so tired of hurting my shoulder to get my gas fired trimmer to start
each time, I am getting a rechargeable trimmer for my light trim work in
yard.

any sugestoins on models?

I use the Black and Decker 12-volt trimmer, the CST2000.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...olzemville-20/

But if I were to buy one today, I'd spend $20 more and get the NST2018. It's
an 18-volt, 12-inch trimmer, and it uses the same Firestorm batteries as
other Black and Decker tools.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...olzemville-20/

Both are straight shaft trimmers, with heads that rotate so you can do some
pseudo-edging as well as trimming. They're both very quiet, and since they
only run when the trigger is pulled, they're even less annoying. You
neighbors may never know you're out there working.

But on the minus side, battery-operated (or even electric) trimmers aren't
going to have the power you need to go into a big patch of tall weeds. These
tools are truly for trimming -- dressing-up the small stuff -- and aren't
the pseudo-machetes that some folks use gas powered trimmers as. Also, as
you near the end of a charge, you may notice a decrease in rpm's if you run
steady for a while.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html

Old 26-05-2005, 02:09 AM
billw

tks all for your experienced advise, will take it all into consideration...

bw