Old 08-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Ben

Default Ryobi Bmm 2400 24V Mower

I just purchased an old BMM 2400, replaced the battery and it works great...

The other shoe.... there was no manual with it, and I don't know the proper
Battery Charging Scheme for the SLA 24 battery.

My lawn is quite small, so I can mow it several times without recharging, but
I just want to know the best scheme to get the longest life I can out of the
battery.

I have tried the RYOBI site, and it is of no help..

Thanks to anyone provide some guidance..

Ben
Old 08-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Pagan

"Ben" wrote in message
I just purchased an old BMM 2400, replaced the battery and it works

great...

The other shoe.... there was no manual with it, and I don't know the

proper
Battery Charging Scheme for the SLA 24 battery.

My lawn is quite small, so I can mow it several times without recharging,

but
I just want to know the best scheme to get the longest life I can out of

the
battery.

I have tried the RYOBI site, and it is of no help..

Thanks to anyone provide some guidance..

For lack of better information, I suggest you leave it on the charger
anywhere from overnight to 24 hours. This is assuming you are using a
'dumb' charger, in other words one that doesn't monitor battery charge, have
a timer, or any fancy features. This is quite likely with Ryobi products.

If you have a 'smart' charger, you can leave it plugged in. If your not
sure, you are safe assuming it's a 'dumb' charger and following my previous
recommendations.

Do not discharge the battery completely, ever. When things start slowing
down, finish mowing if you can, then haul the thing back to the charger.
There's no need to charge after every use. Best would be trial and error,
keeping track of how many uses you can get out of one charge, then charge
the battery one or two uses short of the limit. There's no need to worry
about so-called "memory effect" and whatnot with an SLA, but you want to
avoid overcharging the battery, as well as avoid using electricity when you
don't need to.

If you go on vacation, charge the battery before leaving, then disconnect
the charger.

Chances are this battery will last several years.

Pagan

Old 08-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Ben

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:18:03 -0700, "Pagan" wrotc:

"Ben" wrote in message
.. .
I just purchased an old BMM 2400, replaced the battery and it works

great...snip
If you have a 'smart' charger, you can leave it plugged in. If your not
sure, you are safe assuming it's a 'dumb' charger and following my previous
recommendations.
snip

Thanks.

Sounds like the safest way to go without the actual mfg instructions.

Ben
Old 17-06-2005, 01:31 AM
jay4paz

Ben - I bought the same mower in 1995, used it til 1998, then sold my house
and moved abroad, and it has been in storage since. Just bought a new
house so I have to mow again! Battery won't charge - how did you locate a
battery for this mower? Thanks -
Jay

Old 17-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Ben

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:31:08 -0400, "jay4paz" wrotc:

Ben - snip how did you locate a
battery for this mower? Thanks -
Jay

Interstate Batteries...

http://www.ibsa.com/estore/default.asp

They had a SLA 2740, (24V 20 AH SLA)

You might check local Battery Supply Stores and they should also have
something that would work. They are made up of 2to 12V SLA batteries
connected in series.

If you use Interstate battery be sure to provide them the model no etc. of the
machine you have and any battery information that you may find on the original
battery. I just carried my battery into the local store and they matched it.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Hope this helps.

Old 17-06-2005, 04:13 AM
Ben

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:31:08 -0400, "jay4paz" wrotc:
how did you locate a
battery for this mower? Thanks -

Oops forgot, they replaced it with:

2ea ASLA1116, 12 V 18 AH SLA Flame Ret Batteries.

Ben
Old 20-08-2005, 08:45 PM
David Raleigh Arnold

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:18:03 -0700, Pagan wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message
[...]

Try recharging your old battery for 1 to 2 weeks. I'll bet
you can recover it to some extent. daveA