Old 20-06-2005, 05:31 PM
willshak

Default Trouble with 18 HP Briggs and Stratton

My 18 hp B&S on my Garden Tractor won't continue to run. It is about 10
years old.
I mowed the grass a few weeks ago and it ran fine until I was almost
done with the 1 acre mow job.
It started to lose power as I was climbing a small hill in the yard,
then it died. I was able to restart it, but I had to close the choke
fully in order for it to stay running, and the it only ran for a short
distance before it shut off again.
This week, I could not get it to stay running for more than a few
hundred feet before it shuts off like it no longer got gas or the key
was shut off.

What I did:
Pulled the fuel filter off and blew through it from both ends. No
obstructions, and I could see the screen was clean inside. I blew
through the gas line that goes to the gas tank and was able to blow
bubbles in the tank.
I replaced the fuel filter with a piece of tubing, just in case it was
the filter.
I removed the gas line from the carburetor and the gas ran out freely.
I pulled the cover off the carburetor and checked the diaphragms. No
holes, tears or problems.
I ran it with the air cleaner off and the in-line fuel filter removed.
No difference.
The gas is not old and the tractor is used year round for lawn mowing
and snow blowing.

As far as I can figure, it runs out of gas or perhaps heats up to where
it seizes up. Is there an oil pump that may have gone bad?

--
Bill
Old 20-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Srgnt Billko

My older 18 hp B&S twin has a fuel pump on the back side (nearest the
steering wheel). It caused a similar problem a couple years ago. Also
kinda difficult to get at.
All I had to do was take it apart and clean it.

Old 20-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Stubby

willshak wrote:

[...]

I'll bet the diapragm has lost its flexibility and the accelerator pump
isn't working any longer. (You ran it dry last Fall, right?). Just by
a rebuilding kit and replace the diaphragm. Don't bother with changing
the jets and other small pieces because you'll screw it up.

While you're at it, check that the carburetor floats don't have a hole
in them. And, check the needle valve by blowing into the fuel inlet
and gently moving the floats up and down. Sometimes dirt gets into the
needle valve and it can't shut off, flooding the engine.
Old 20-06-2005, 11:53 PM
willshak

On 6/20/2005 12:57 PM US(ET), Srgnt Billko took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

My older 18 hp B&S twin has a fuel pump on the back side (nearest the
steering wheel). It caused a similar problem a couple years ago. Also
kinda difficult to get at.
All I had to do was take it apart and clean it.

Thanks, but no fuel pump. It is gravity fed. The gas line runs from the
tank directly to the carburetor.

Old 21-06-2005, 12:08 AM
willshak

On 6/20/2005 1:03 PM US(ET), Stubby took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

willshak wrote:

[...]

I will assume it is the carburetor. I changed the basic red plastic
in-line filter to a clear type and tried to start it. No fuel entered
the filter. I will get a carburetor rebuild kit tomorrow.
This tractor is never run dry. It serves year round as a mower and a
snow removal vehicle with a front mounted snow blower.

While you're at it, check that the carburetor floats don't have a hole
in them. And, check the needle valve by blowing into the fuel inlet
and gently moving the floats up and down. Sometimes dirt gets into
the needle valve and it can't shut off, flooding the engine.

This carburetor does not have a float tank.

--
Bill

Old 27-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Stanley" wrote in message
Stay away from those JD tractors!

Stay away from those "Stanley" tractors. You do know they make them don't
you ?

Old 27-06-2005, 11:28 AM
willshak

On 6/26/2005 9:31 PM US(ET), Stanley took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Stay away from those JD tractors!

My 10 year old Murray built, Agway branded tractor hasn't been anywhere
near a JD tractor, so that's not it..

Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
encat

I assume that it is a twin 18. A real common issue on these are the
armatures (ignition coils) Customers a lot of the time state that the choke
helps keep them going. It isn't always a matter that they loose there spark.
Infact, the coil has a built in capacitor that times the spark and they come
out of time. Usually they start out as a hot running condition and get
worse. The partis about $50 and all B&S opposed twins use the same one.

BTW the diaphrams in the front of the carb are part of the carbs fuel pump.
(Even if the tractor has a under hood fuel tank). It is also very easy to
drop one of the 2 little springs upon disassembly.

Best of luck!

Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 PM
willshak

On 7/7/2005 12:31 PM US(ET), encat took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I assume that it is a twin 18. A real common issue on these are the
armatures (ignition coils) Customers a lot of the time state that the choke
helps keep them going. It isn't always a matter that they loose there spark.
Infact, the coil has a built in capacitor that times the spark and they come
out of time. Usually they start out as a hot running condition and get
worse. The partis about $50 and all B&S opposed twins use the same one.

BTW the diaphrams in the front of the carb are part of the carbs fuel pump.
(Even if the tractor has a under hood fuel tank). It is also very easy to
drop one of the 2 little springs upon disassembly.

Best of luck!

I had given up on trying to get it to run, so I called a local mower
repair service that was about a mile away. I told him that I would drop
it off. I then discovered that it wouldn't fit in my Nissan pickup with
the mower attached, and taking off the mower and putting it on once a
year was enough for me and is something I don't look forward to, so I
called him back. He came and picked it up just before noon and then
returned it that afternoon. He said there was nothing wrong with the
fuel pump and all they did was to clean and adjust the carburetor ( I
had sprayed carb cleaner into it myself, but it didn't help). He
charged me $70.36 including tax. It would have been only $25 plus tax,
had I been able to deliver and pick up the tractor myself.
It has been running fine since then.
Thanks anyway.