Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Chris Demers

Default What is this fungus in my Garden? (0/1)

I have had pine mulch under my children's playground for 2 years.
This year a strange fungus is coming up everywhere in the mulch. It
looks attractive and yellow for a day then like a strange outer space
alien plant after that. If I touch it, it releases many black spores
at this point. Please have a look at the attached pictures and tell
me if you know how to safely get rid of it and if I should be
concerned about it for any reason.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Edgar

"Chris Demers" wrote in message
I have had pine mulch under my children's playground for 2 years.
This year a strange fungus is coming up everywhere in the mulch. It
looks attractive and yellow for a day then like a strange outer space
alien plant after that. If I touch it, it releases many black spores
at this point. Please have a look at the attached pictures and tell
me if you know how to safely get rid of it and if I should be
concerned about it for any reason.

Thanks.

Please have a look at the attached pictures . .

DO NOT send attachments to a non-binary NG.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Warren

Chris Demers wrote:
Please have a look at the attached pictures

Your attached pictures did not show up on many news servers, so many of us
won't see them. Of those who even have a chance of seeing them, many of them
filter-out binaries on their end. Others will simply not open any message
with an attachment. And others who set their newsreaders to download
messages so they can view them off-line will be annoyed that one of them is
a huge binary in a discussion group.

Also, most news servers set aside a certain amount of space for each group.
As newer messages come in, older messages are pushed out. Posting a text
message usually means one text message is pushed out the back end. Posting a
picture may mean that two, three or more days worth of discussion will be
pushed off the back end. If there was only enough room set aside on the
server for a week's worth of discussion, your picture may have pushed off a
significant portion of the discussions, and folks who only check in once a
week will have to go to an archive site like Google to find out what they
missed.

Instead you should have posted to a binary group like
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, and/or provided us with a link to where we
could find the picture(s).

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 09-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Chris Demers said:

I have had pine mulch under my children's playground for 2 years.
This year a strange fungus is coming up everywhere in the mulch. It
looks attractive and yellow for a day then like a strange outer space
alien plant after that. If I touch it, it releases many black spores
at this point. Please have a look at the attached pictures and tell
me if you know how to safely get rid of it and if I should be
concerned about it for any reason.

Can only guess as my newserver doesn't allow binaries in discussion
groups. (See Warren's post for a pretty thorough explanation of the
issue regarding binaries.)

However, when anyone posts a 'what is this strange stuff in my mulch'
question, I first think of slime molds:

http://www.ppdl.org/dd/id/slime_molds-mulch.html

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/june99.html

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/slime1.htm
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Stubby

Chris Demers wrote:
I have had pine mulch under my children's playground for 2 years.
This year a strange fungus is coming up everywhere in the mulch. It
looks attractive and yellow for a day then like a strange outer space
alien plant after that. If I touch it, it releases many black spores
at this point. Please have a look at the attached pictures and tell
me if you know how to safely get rid of it and if I should be
concerned about it for any reason.

This is a standard problem and questions about it appear every year.
You can google for it.