Old 16-07-2005, 04:16 AM
jaberwokie

Default Problem with grass.

For the last 15 to 17 years the problems with humidity and or heavier
rains has really gotten to a couple areas of the yard.
The soil has been damp to wet for the last 2 -2/12 months under a large
oak that still gets plenty of sunshine.
I have seeded with about every kind of grass I can find. This last
winter I used the new fescue(I can't remember the name) and tall fescue.
I had kuxurant growth until the "wet" season hit in May. The grass is
thinning out very badly. I try to wait til the ground has been dry for
at least 2 days before mowing. This has been very had lately making me
cancel fishing trips and other neccessary chores to get to the grass
before it rains again.
The temps have been averagingin the mid eighties to low eighties and
even mid seventies when it rains.
Any clues what to plant or to do to the soil? It is on a slight incline
in front of the house and quite a bit of water flows that way when it
rains. I have been thinking of reapplying fertilizer since the water
must be washing it off but the ground is just so wet.
In about 3 weeks we may have three weeks of 95-98 degree weather and
that hursts the grass also. I cut it about 4 1/2 inches high.
Old 16-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Steveo

jaberwokie wrote:
[...]

You could put some drain tile in there if there's a place to expel the
water for starters. Nothing good will grow with wet feet.
Old 21-07-2005, 02:47 PM
wkearney99

The soil has been damp to wet for the last 2 -2/12 months

Where's the water coming from? What can be done to re-route or otherwise
keep the soil from being damp all the time?

Bear in mind that poor soil condition under a big tree is a sure way to make
sure it topples over during high wind conditions, or just rots and falls
over. But at the same time you want to be careful about what you do to the
root network of the tree. So if you can figure out where the water's coming
from, make sure the efforts to manage it don't needlessly harm the tree's
roots. As in, don't whack a trench through a large part of them. Have an
arborist take a look at the situation so you don't wreck the tree.

Old 21-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Doug Kanter

Have you considered switching away from regular grass completely? There are
other plants that make decent ground covers and grow well in wet areas. For
instance, look at the third plant down in the list he

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarde...s/groundcover/