Old 02-05-2006, 12:39 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Wood chips for play area

Does anyone know if the woodchips available (rather cheaply) at the
Raleigh yard waste center are suitable for putting under my 10 month
old's swingset? Other suggestions would be appreciated also.

Steve

Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 AM posted to triangle.gardens
jim frei

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if the woodchips available (rather cheaply) at the
Raleigh yard waste center are suitable for putting under my 10 month
old's swingset? Other suggestions would be appreciated also.

I would not use these wood chips from the yard waste center on a
playground - could be poison ivy and other trash mixed in. Go to a
reputable landscape materials retailer and get some certified stuff - all
you need is no more than one cubic yard (pick-up truck load)...cost about
$20/cy for good quality wood chips.

Surely youre kid is worth $20.

Or let him play on the bare dirt like I did growing up - a few bumps and
scrapes will make a man out of him/her.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Jason

"jim frei" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if the woodchips available (rather cheaply) at the
Raleigh yard waste center are suitable for putting under my 10 month
old's swingset? Other suggestions would be appreciated also.

I would not use these wood chips from the yard waste center on a
playground - could be poison ivy and other trash mixed in. Go to a
reputable landscape materials retailer and get some certified stuff - all
you need is no more than one cubic yard (pick-up truck load)...cost about
$20/cy for good quality wood chips.

Surely youre kid is worth $20.

Or let him play on the bare dirt like I did growing up - a few bumps and
scrapes will make a man out of him/her.

Hopefully not out of her... :-) Those would have to have some weird
chemicals on them.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-05-01, wrote:
Does anyone know if the woodchips available (rather cheaply) at the
Raleigh yard waste center are suitable for putting under my 10 month
old's swingset? Other suggestions would be appreciated also.

Steve

Here is an alternative idea:

The aptly named Clint Firestone, sales manager at Rubber Safe
Playgrounds, Inc., likes to begin his sales pitch with a laundry list of
the benefits of shredded rubber: .It doesn.t attract insects, dogs, or
cats, it doesn.t decompose, and it pays for itself because of longevity
of product life..

The shredded rubber product is made entirely from scrap tires. Magnetic
separation equipment removes the steel belting from the tires, and then
they are sliced into mulch-sized pieces. .From my own firsthand
experience, kids play with the rubber more than they play with the
swings.they love to bounce around on it,. says Firestone. .It doesn.t
stain, it doesn.t smell, and it.s safe.. According to ASTM
International.s scientific testing labs, shredded rubber provides twice
the cushioning effect of sand, gravel, or woodchip products.

I have also heard some people actually prefer uniform pea gravel, but
they recommend 9 inch depth. Sooner or later it would become compact
due to falling organic matter such as leaves that rot.

is a garbage address.