Old 22-10-2006, 12:09 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Local lilacs?

Any suggestions on where to buy and what to grow?

I read through an old thread but I couldn't find the suggested
nurseries.

I recently bought my first home and I'm a newbie-green thumb.

Much appreciated!

Old 23-10-2006, 07:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

In article . com,
"mrs. tedger" wrote:

Any suggestions on where to buy and what to grow?

I read through an old thread but I couldn't find the suggested
nurseries.

I recently bought my first home and I'm a newbie-green thumb.

Much appreciated!

Even the 'adapted' varieties of lilac are iffy, especially in the
southern part of our area. (I grew up in Michigan and love the lilac
display in spring)

Better stick to well-adapted flowering shrubs like forsythia, azalea,
rhododendrons, gardenia, and camelia. Plant shallow, in full sun, and
fertilize the rhodie-types with acid-loving food (like Miracid).

Talk to the Master Gardener at your county extension agent for help, and
visit the Raulston arboretum at NCSU for many examples and ideas. Good
luck! The N&O Saturday edition has gardening tips aplenty.

Where to buy: Depends where you live. In Durham, we like Benson's on
Guess Rd but there are plenty of fine nurseries around.
Old 25-10-2006, 09:08 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Found a very helpful thread he

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/msg0615215310528.html?21

lilacs & flowering bushy things Arwen Long North Carolina 5 14-10-2003 08:39 PM
Do lilacs grow here? Elizabeth North Carolina 6 29-05-2003 05:23 AM
lilacs & flowering bushy things Arwen Long North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Lilacs Evan Wood Gardening 12 11-04-2003 05:20 PM
Lilacs-Atlanta Nina Salkin Gardening 9 07-02-2003 09:53 PM