Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default Snakes are out and about

Susan Hogarth" wrote in message news:tO_ka.2023$W%

My dogs seem to ignore snakes, although I have seen other dogs who react
strongly to them. The dogs and I nearly stepped on a young copperhead once
before I realised it and hopped on one foot

It was probably just a corn snake and you imagined it to be a Copperhead,
since it makes for a more interesting story. grin

FWIW, I have a picture of a black snake (unless it was a Cotton Mouth) I
found in the bird feeder one day. He'd caught a Finch (or perhaps it was an
Ostrich) and had it about half way down the hatch. I picked him up and took
him out to the woods so Klepto (or maybe it was a wolf) wouldn't get him. I
didn't realize that a snake could spit out something that was almost down
the hatch. Unfortunately, the snake (or was it a stick) didn't realize it
and spit the bird out.

About all I could do was to put the black snake (or was it an Adder) down by
"his" bird and put Klepto in the garage. By the time I returned, he'd
retaken his prize, so when he got it about 3" down, I again picked him up
and placed him way out back by the stream (or was it a creek) beside a Pine
(or was it an Oak) tree.