Old 27-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Jane Peppler

Default source for TALL cedar fence posts?

Hi,

Investigating the deer fence situation. Any producers of the
old-fashioned cedar fence posts - but long ones - still around?

Thanks,
Jane

Old 29-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

Have you considered an electric fence?

We've had major deer problems (over a dozen in the yard at once) and the
electric fence has protected the roses and, this year, the lilies. The key
is to have the fence near the plants to be protected; if deer can see clear
to land on both sides, they'll just jump it so a property perimeter fence
won't really work unless it's multiple strands and 8' tall.

The ones that plug into the house current are more powerful for the $ than
the solar ones. I have the house current one on a timer so it won't zap
anyone during the day. The solar ones are more convenient and have an
on-off switch on them so they can just be turned off as needed. Get a low
impedence model.

I've been real happy with the help from the people at Souther States in
Carrboro in setting it up. The chargers that they sell at Lowes and Home
Depot don't hold up more than a season (I went through several before
finding the ones that SS has.).

Electric fences are not dangerous unless you have a pacemaker. The zap is
uncomfortable (think Pavlovian responses here), but no permanent damage to
the zapee (I've gotten zapped on a number of occasions when I've forgotten
to turn it off).

Doc Muhlbaier
Durham

Old 30-05-2003, 02:32 PM

In article , Doc Muhlbaier wrote:
[...]

An old article in The Mother Earth News had plans for a deer proof fence
that was about 6 feet tall but the posts slanted out so the horizontal
distance between the top and bottom was approaching two feet. It slanted
so much he had a vertical prop at mid point of each post. It was
electrified and wires at one foot intervals. The author's theory was
that deer could jump wide and high but not both at the same time. I
think he had had a couple of deer free years before he wrote the
article. Seems like his garden was small to medium sized probably 25x25
or slightly bigger. If it had been 100x100 the deer may have been more
inclined to jump the fence.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)