Old 19-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Sandie Hudson

Default wildflowers for a sunny clay hill

I have a hill that faces east and gets lots of sun all day. The soil is
hard clay. I am thinking of trying to get some wilflowers to grow on it. I
can water it and I can get plenty of mulch for it. What kinds of NC natives
will do best? Where's the best place to find out this information?

Thanks for any help,
Sandie

Old 20-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Lynne in NC

"Sandie Hudson" wrote in message om...
I have a hill that faces east and gets lots of sun all day. The soil is
hard clay. I am thinking of trying to get some wilflowers to grow on it. I
can water it and I can get plenty of mulch for it. What kinds of NC natives
will do best? Where's the best place to find out this information?

Thanks for any help,
Sandie

A great source of plant lists and recommended plant sources is the
North Carolina Botanical Garden. See
http://www.ncbg.unc.edu/sources.htm to begin exploring. They are also
having a wonderful plant sale this month.

Lynne in Orange County
Old 20-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Sandie Hudson

"Lynne in NC" wrote in message

A great source of plant lists and recommended plant sources is the
North Carolina Botanical Garden. See
http://www.ncbg.unc.edu/sources.htm to begin exploring. They are also
having a wonderful plant sale this month.

Lynne in Orange County

I must be missing something there. I didn't find plant lists there.

Sandie

Old 21-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Jennifer Richards

"Sandie Hudson" wrote in message
m...
"Lynne in NC" wrote in message

A great source of plant lists and recommended plant sources is the
North Carolina Botanical Garden. See
http://www.ncbg.unc.edu/sources.htm to begin exploring. They are also
having a wonderful plant sale this month.

Lynne in Orange County

I must be missing something there. I didn't find plant lists there.

Sandie

I didn't see anything on the web site, either. I think you have to go to
the garden to get printed materials like plant lists. You might also try
your county extension agent. I know Durham County has master gardeners
answering phone queries. You can probably find more information about your
county from this site: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/counties/

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/ has all kinds of plant
information available appropriate for NC.

-Jenny

Old 21-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Kelly Garner

"Lynne in NC" wrote in message

A great source of plant lists and recommended plant sources is the
North Carolina Botanical Garden. See
http://www.ncbg.unc.edu/sources.htm to begin exploring. They are also
having a wonderful plant sale this month.

Lynne in Orange County

I must be missing something there. I didn't find plant lists there.

I didn't see anything on the web site, either. I think you have to go to

You might try going to the websites listed for the nurseries/etc that propagate
native plants (there are plenty listed there).

Cheers
KJ
--
---
"We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and

Old 21-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Sandie Hudson

"Jennifer Richards" wrote in message
om...

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/ has all kinds of plant
information available appropriate for NC.

Thanks!

--
Sandie
- Don't forget to take the cats out.

Old 22-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Sandie,

You might take a look at Will Cook's website, where he has a lot of info on
native plants http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/#plants. He also has about a
gazillion other nature-related links.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh