Old 26-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Snake ID Question

This morning, I saw two snakes mating (I guess, they were entwined) on my
front walk.

They were about 24" long, and an even beige-gold color (similar to the color
of many SUV's, don't know how better to describe it) and creamy yellow
underneath.

There was not much patterning on the snakes, and they seemed very slender,
not at all heavy-bodied.

I checked the pictures at "Snakes of North Carolina"
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects...es/snakes.html
and the only picture that resembles it is the Mole Kingsnake
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects.../Lam_cal.html,
but these snakes seemed much smaller.

In the meantime, I'll keep the area free of leaves, and I'll be careful when
I work around the piles of leaves.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 27-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Mac Cool

"Anne Lurie" said:

I checked the pictures at "Snakes of North Carolina"
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects...C/snakes/snake
s.html

nice link

--
Mac Cool
Old 27-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Susan Hogarth

Anne Lurie wrote:

In the meantime, I'll keep the area free of leaves, and I'll be careful
when I work around the piles of leaves.

Well, at least you know they're not poisonous since they don't match the
description of the poisonous snakes of central NC.

--
Susan Hogarth
"To minimize suffering and maximize security were natural and proper ends of
Old 29-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Penny Morgan

Anne,

The snakes you're describing are common grass snakes and are harmless. They
have popped up in my yard a few times and I looked them up in my Audubon
Snake Book. They tend to be very small and thin. Sometimes they have a
yellow ring around the neck too.

Penny
. com...

Old 04-05-2004, 03:06 AM
gracie28

With any luck, they'll reproduce and eat all your voles and mice.