Old 13-07-2004, 04:18 PM

Default watering advice

Tri gardeners,

I am taking care of a friend's yard for three weeks, much of which is
happening during a heat wave.

So I'm still trying to guage how much to water. Her mostly shady garden
has a lot of specimen trees and shrubs in it...various Japanese maples,
weeping redbud, 3 types of Hemlocks, a toddler-aged redwood, a weeping
birch, and a recently planted spruce.

This garden usually gets watered every other day by automated drip
irrigation. But in this heat I've been making sure to water every day by
hose and wondering if I should add even a second daily watering. Some
trees (especially the newly planted birch and spruce) are not doing that
well, and I can't tell if they need more water or less. Other trees
planted a year or two ago (such as the Japanese Maples) have turned leaf
color since I started the extra watering, and I cannot tell if this is in
protest. I think possibly it is.

I would appreciate any advice you have about how much you are watering on
days when the temp rises to 97 degrees and the sunlight is glaring.

thanks,
Melissa
Old 15-07-2004, 07:03 PM

In article uke.edu, wrote:

[...]

Did your friend leave any instructions?

Are the plants showing any sign of distress. I should say were they
showing any. They may be showing the same signs now from over watering.
Is the ground around the plants wet, dig a few small holes with a spade
how deep is the wetness. It the ground is not dry then I suggest
letting the drip watering be all you use.

Too much water can be worse than not enough.

spam@
www.spam.com is a garbage address.