Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Jo

Default Tomato Cages

Does anyone know somewhere to get low priced tomato cages. Used is fine.

Jo

Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM

On 2005-01-08, Jo wrote:
Does anyone know somewhere to get low priced tomato cages. Used is fine.

Jo

What is your definition of a tomato cage? Most garden centers don't
sell a real one. Mine is a 5 foot rigid wire cylinder 2 ft in diameter
and 5 feet tall. Galvanized welded wire works, but you have to cut
larger holes. Concrete reinforcing wire is best but takes some muscle
to make. Making your own with either material should cost 3-5$ per
cage.

I have considered making some concrete wire ones forsale, but I think I
would have to charge $10 each to make it worthwhile. They are bulky to
transport if premade and I don't know if I would have the time.

Would there be any interest by anyone?

is a garbage address.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Jo

Hi Wes,
I am stuck on high risk pregnancy bed rest, so making something that
complex or lifting of anything heavy would be a no no. (Getting older is
not fun lol)
My DH is not much of gardening type, but perhaps he could figure it out.
Thank you for the info...

Jo

. ..

Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Daniel B. Martin

E Gregory wrote:
I'm not sure what concrete reinforcing mesh is, but I use the 2X4"
galvanized wire fencing formed into rings of about 3 foot diameter, 4
foot high and I just use 3 electrical tie wraps to hold the ring
together. I love those tie wraps, they're my #1 "building supply"!
I used to spend hours and have sore hands and fingers bending the wire
around itself to form the cages, but not anymore.
Eileen

My objection to fencing with 2"x4" mesh is that it is difficult to reach
into the cage to harvest those lucious summer tomatoes.

Tie wraps work nicely. Another kind of "tie" is short lengths of scrap
12-gauge copper wire. These can be found in abundance at new home
construction sites. The copper bends easily and may be reused year
after year.

Daniel B. Martin
Old 11-01-2005, 09:33 PM
E Gregory

Daniel B. Martin wrote:
E Gregory wrote:
I'm not sure what concrete reinforcing mesh is, but I use the 2X4"

galvanized wire fencing formed into rings of about 3 foot diameter, 4
foot high and I just use 3 electrical tie wraps to hold the ring
together. I love those tie wraps, they're my #1 "building supply"!
I used to spend hours and have sore hands and fingers bending the wire
around itself to form the cages, but not anymore.
Eileen

My objection to fencing with 2"x4" mesh is that it is difficult to reach
into the cage to harvest those lucious summer tomatoes.

Tie wraps work nicely. Another kind of "tie" is short lengths of scrap
12-gauge copper wire. These can be found in abundance at new home
construction sites. The copper bends easily and may be reused year
after year.

Daniel B. Martin

Yeah, I usually cut a couple of "holes" that I can use to reach inside.
I'll have to see what concrete reinforcing mesh looks like next time
I'm in a home improvement place.
Eileen
Old 12-01-2005, 06:34 PM

On 2005-01-10, Daniel B. Martin wrote:

wrote:
Should be 22 I forgot it is only 5 feet tall with wires every 6 inches.

I use the same concrete reinforcing mesh.
Maybe I make them differently.
I have to bend only 11 wires per cage.
Maybe you are doing twice as much work as necessary.

Daniel B. Martin

Yes I could get away with wiring horizontals from one end to vertical
on the other, but those welds tend to give out faster so I cut in the
middle of a section and connect each horizontal wire to its countepart
on the other end.

I'm not sure what concrete reinforcing mesh is, but I use the 2X4"
galvanized wire fencing formed into rings of about 3 foot diameter, 4
foot high and I just use 3 electrical tie wraps to hold the ring
together. I love those tie wraps, they're my #1 "building supply"!
I used to spend hours and have sore hands and fingers bending the wire
around itself to form the cages, but not anymore.
Eileen

Concrete reiforcing wire is the rusty stuff you see around concrete
work. It is imbedded in the concrete and makes it more resistant to
cracking. It is 6x6 inch squares so you don't have to cut larger access
holes as you do in 2x4 welded wire, but it is a thicker guage wire than
the 2x4 so even more strength is required to cut and bend. Bolt cutters
really help.

is a garbage address.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:36 PM

On 2005-01-11, E Gregory wrote:
Daniel B. Martin wrote:
E Gregory wrote:
[...]

In the store the rust will be light and will brush off and seem to make
a mess. But once it is in the rain a time or two the rust turns dark
brown and hardens so there is no mess.

is a garbage address.

Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages Karen Texas 12 18-03-2003 02:56 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM
Tomato Cages Online? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 23 07-02-2003 06:52 PM