Old 21-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Dieseldog

Default Winter weed control

Last fall I killed the entire lawn with round up and re-seeded (slit seed).
There are weeds in the new lawn that seem to be spreading (even though it is
winter).

Anything I should do about it now?

I've been looking for a maintenance schedule for fescue that is applicable
to the Carolina Piedmont (when to apply fertilizer, pre-emergent weed
killer, etc) but haven't found one online.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Old 21-01-2005, 05:23 PM

On 2005-01-21, Dieseldog wrote:
Last fall I killed the entire lawn with round up and re-seeded (slit seed).
There are weeds in the new lawn that seem to be spreading (even though it is
winter).

Anything I should do about it now?

I've been looking for a maintenance schedule for fescue that is applicable
to the Carolina Piedmont (when to apply fertilizer, pre-emergent weed
killer, etc) but haven't found one online.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Weedbegon ( 2,4,D ) should work for broadleaf weeds. Spot spray to
test. I think fescue does say how long to wait after germination.

Preen would also stop any future seeds from germinating. It works for
3-4 months, but has to be reaplied after the dirt is distrubed. If you
put out preen and then pulled up an existing weed, then a new one might
sprout wher you pulled the old one out.

is a garbage address.
Old 21-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Baine Carruthers

Try this link to NCSU's leaflets. There is a lot of good info.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/weeds/

Extension info
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/

--