Old 26-11-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
RTB RTB is offline

Default Moderated is a control measure for control freaks

It would be a cold day in hell when a so called moderator is going to
be able to determine what is acceptable or not acceptable. Moderated
groups is a perfect way to drive all posters away permanently. who is
to say what is legitimate and is not. Who are these moderators to say
what I ask or reply is not correct. A moderated group is perfect for a
radical muslim type nation or if the nazi were still in control but
has no place in a free speech world. Free speech is not necessarily
say what yu want to belittle folks but be entitled to an opinion
without being moderated or filtered out. George (Max or Roy) is behind
all this and its going to bite folks in the backside......No good can
come out of a moderated forum., Besides, how many of you have already
commplained about the slight moderation onthe goodhgle groups and
other koi and ponding forums already, but are now wanting to jump into
the fire with both feet on Georges word. Evidently George has not done
to much reading as he states he has on what and how a moderated group
works. It can take days to get a reply or see a post appear........and
all posts are going to have to go through a moderator be it a troll or
trash post its going to keep them mods busy...while George sets back
and has a laugh on you.
Old 26-11-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds

Got you to push your panic button, didn't I.

Looks like maybe for the first time there might be a real, hopefully
successful, effort to get rid of all you trolls.

george

-willing to give my real identification to long-time, trusted
rec.ponders

Old 26-11-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

[...]

Lighten up a bit, would you? No one claims that this is the end-all,
be-all perfect solution. I read (and sometimes participate in) a moderated
newsgroup, and it doesn't take days. True, there is some lag, but in
general the turn around is pretty good. Some of us would just like to swap
lies about ponds, not religions or abortion or something. I forget exactly
who said it, but if it filters out some of the static does it really matter
who is behind it?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head
Old 27-11-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

And right now we have freedom in this group? Like Iraq's.

People don't want to post here when their names (fake or not) get stuck on
garbage posts, or they get attacked. I welcome a moderated newsgroup where
I can use my Agent newsreader. Unlike a google group where what I've
already read has be reviewed each time because I can't remember if I've
read that or not, etc. a pain. ~ jan (not a good poker player either)

[...]

-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 27-11-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.ponds

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Lighten up a bit, would you? No one claims that this is the end-all,
be-all perfect solution. I read (and sometimes participate in) a
moderated
newsgroup, and it doesn't take days. True, there is some lag, but in
general the turn around is pretty good.

I don't know what the mechanism for moderation is on newsgroups, but on the
moderated lists I use, one can usually set individual posters to be
unmoderated. In which case, if people behave, they aren't moderated. If
they stop behaving, the moderation flag gets set and nothing gets through
until they improve.
--
derek

Old 28-11-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

I run a so called "moderated" list. and the fact is I havent had to moderate
anything for years. once I got rid of one person that was flaming all the time the
group runs itself. I am on a moderated list and the only drawback is not seeing our
posts immediately, which is a good thing for people with ponds in trouble. so there
does need to be somebody sorta "on duty" most of the time.
moderated does NOT mean being censored. it means nobody can be abusive to other
people, and that most of us will agree to.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com