Old 07-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Raleighgirl

Default National Arbor Day Foundation

Is this a good source for trees? Seems that I remember
criticism about the size (puny) of trees. I'm suspicious when
Japanese Maples are only $7.
Thanks Jo for the reference. Great searching for specific trees!
Raleighgirl

Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Marcy Hege

The National Arbor Day Foundation trees are very small...typically less than 2
feet and, if I remember correctly, are shipped bareroot. We bought some after
Fran. Some of the trees made it, some didn't. I think the riverbirch is about
15 feet tall now, eight years later.

There's Broadwells...

Marcy
Old 07-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Jo

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message
.com...
Is this a good source for trees? Seems that I remember
criticism about the size (puny) of trees. I'm suspicious when
Japanese Maples are only $7.
Thanks Jo for the reference. Great searching for specific trees!
Raleighgirl

They send babies for sure, but if you are looking for something bigger
faster, Marcy is right about Broadwells.
They have quite a few plants. (They are also good for buying pots)
I got a few items there, but then the rest from National and have grown
them in pots since last year.
They got to about 3.5 feet by the end of summer, and I am sure they will
grow lots more this spring when I transplant them.

I have to take down a couple of silver maples, they are destroying my
foundation and my entire lawn.
Being my hubby and I are both a little bit nature fanatics, each tree we
take down, we replace with two.
We also have a couple memorial tree's.
I think I remember you are doing a garden this year.
Let me know what your plans are. Hubby is setting up the kitchen so I can
sit and do my seedlings and I will probably have some extra.

Jo