Old 08-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Mump

Default Trugreen

I have an estimate for Trugreen.

Tall fescue, pale and thin.

We have dandelion, Chickweed, Clover (lots, my add), Lespedza, and moss.

My question:

It seems to me that paying someone to lime, and kill weeds, (6
applications) , then aerate and seed would be worth it.

I've tried to find info online as to how to do this myself, and what
I'll need (I'm the kind of person that needs technical things spelled
out to the letter, totally right-brained) but it seems beyond me as to
what my list should look like, what I can do and when and how often,
etc.etc.

Am I missing something?

What should I do?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:08 PM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:33:34 GMT in Mump wrote:
I have an estimate for Trugreen.

Tall fescue, pale and thin.

We have dandelion, Chickweed, Clover (lots, my add), Lespedza, and moss.

Remember clover and moss are only weeds if you don't want them there.
Moss, unlike grass, does not require mowing. If the area remains
moist enough for the moss to grow during the summer, you might want
to leave it alone.
And clover seems to grow spots in my yard that crabgrass and fescue
and moss don't like.

My question:

It seems to me that paying someone to lime, and kill weeds, (6
applications) , then aerate and seed would be worth it.

I've tried to find info online as to how to do this myself, and what
I'll need (I'm the kind of person that needs technical things spelled
out to the letter, totally right-brained) but it seems beyond me as to
what my list should look like, what I can do and when and how often,
etc.etc.

Am I missing something?

What should I do?

1) Decide which of the "weeds" you actually don't want.

2) Theoretically you should get a soil analysis done. Pop refuses to
do that because he's afraid they'll tell him this red clay isn't soil.
From that comes recommendations as far as the rate of application for
lime and fertilizer. If some of the "weeds" you want, do seperate
soil samples from those areas and indicate that you are wishing
to keep whatever.

3) Get recommendations on removal of the "weeds" you don't want.
You may wish to opt for mechanical removal of dandelions and
chickweed and followup with a pre-emergence herbicide to keep
them from coming back.

4) Get annoyed with all the work and just cover the lawn with mulch
and declare it to be a natural area.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 08-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Mump

[...]

From that comes recommendations as far as the rate of application for
lime and fertilizer. If some of the "weeds" you want, do seperate
soil samples from those areas and indicate that you are wishing
to keep whatever.

3) Get recommendations on removal of the "weeds" you don't want.
You may wish to opt for mechanical removal of dandelions and
chickweed and followup with a pre-emergence herbicide to keep
them from coming back.

4) Get annoyed with all the work and just cover the lawn with mulch
and declare it to be a natural area.

Ok. My concern for weed removal is secondary to having an actuall 'lawn'
and not just a series of patches of 'stuff' alternating with dry cracked
earth and clover/moss. All i want is a lawn. He said, slightly wimpering.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:30 PM

On 2005-04-08, Mump wrote:
I have an estimate for Trugreen.

Tall fescue, pale and thin.

We have dandelion, Chickweed, Clover (lots, my add), Lespedza, and moss.

My question:

It seems to me that paying someone to lime, and kill weeds, (6
applications) , then aerate and seed would be worth it.

I've tried to find info online as to how to do this myself, and what
I'll need (I'm the kind of person that needs technical things spelled
out to the letter, totally right-brained) but it seems beyond me as to
what my list should look like, what I can do and when and how often,
etc.etc.

Am I missing something?

What should I do?

Consider buying a book or going to someplace like readers corner and
getting a used one on lawn care. YOu can also check with the county
extension service or probably with NCSU. Check out the library as well.
Remember getting info online can be difficult since their main goal is
not education, but to get you to buy something.

How much were they quoting for 6 visits?

is a garbage address.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:54 PM

wrote:
On 2005-04-08, Mump wrote:

[...]

$48 per and then 240 for the seeding/aeration.

The per visit charge does not sound bad. I don't know about the seeding
and areation. For comparison you may want to see what an areator rents
for for half a day. Subtract that from the 240 and ask your self it it
is worth that amount to be dragged around by an areator for a couple
hours, then have to seed an fertilize it.

Seeding in the spring is a waste of money, unless you don't have any
grass now. YOu will have to do it again in the fall. At least half
your spring seeded fescue will not survive August unless you can really
deep water 1-1.5 inches each week that it does not rain.

is a garbage address.