Old 16-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Raleighgirl

Default koi pond

We are in the research phase of building a fairly large koi pond
(9x11) off of our deck. It's in a bright place with lots of
morning sun so we can have lots of plants and surrounding
landscaping. I'm looking for advice on where to find large,
attractive, flat rocks. Norwood nursery charges $172./ton. We
may need as much as 3 tons for the surround and waterfall. Do
you know of anywhere that's cheaper? I'm also interested in
learning more about water plants. What plants are most
successful? What plants to avoid? Does anyone have plants to
share?
Thanks in advance!
Raleighgirl
To email me directly, remove the city.

Old 16-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Kevin Van Sant

On Mon, 16 May 2005 09:46:16 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
wrote in message
m :

We are in the research phase of building a fairly large koi pond
(9x11) off of our deck. It's in a bright place with lots of
morning sun so we can have lots of plants and surrounding
landscaping. I'm looking for advice on where to find large,
attractive, flat rocks. Norwood nursery charges $172./ton. We
may need as much as 3 tons for the surround and waterfall. Do
you know of anywhere that's cheaper? I'm also interested in
learning more about water plants. What plants are most
successful? What plants to avoid? Does anyone have plants to
share?
Thanks in advance!
Raleighgirl
To email me directly, remove the city.

I've been getting stone and mulch from Carolina Stone on hwy 55 in
RTP. I don't know what they charge for the stone you want, but they
likely carry it. It might be cheaper since stone is their primary
thing.

As for info on water plants and water gardens in general, I suggest
you check out the William Tricker website and get on their catalogue
mailing list. http://www.tricker.com/ I used to have a small garden
pond found their catalog inspiring and informative.

Kevin Van Sant
jazz guitar

http://www.kevinvansant.com
to buy my CDs, hear sound clips, see videos, and get more info.

Visit my new Instant Download Mp3 Store at:
http://www.onestopjazz.com/mp3-store.html

Alternate site for gig tape soundclips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/kevinvansant_music.htm

Old 16-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Raleighgirl

Thanks Kevin.

Just FYI, we went to 3 places today- all off of Capital Blvd.
Hamilton Landscapes is BY FAR the cheapest. GREAT selection and
about 1/2 the price of the other places! They have just about
any kind of rock or mulch your little heart desires. Plus, if
you buy 2 tons or more, delivery is free. They currently have a
special going- $165. per ton for NC rock (brown, yellow).
Raleighgirl

Old 17-05-2005, 11:23 PM
tomatolord

there are plenty of constructions sites around that have loose stone...that
is how I made all of the walls and pond at my house.

However you need a large trailer and a strong back....

I would also recomend permalon for the liner NOT epdm a lot cheaper and
easier to work with.

when you design your pond make sure you leave a cave or large overhang
somewhere for the fish to hide under. Dont worry they will mill about so
you will see them.

Otherwise the herons will eat all of your fish very quicly

ebay is a great source for the pond pumps

the BEST flower there is are impatients...I put them right into the pond and
into the bowl on my fountain and they grow to about 3-4 feet by the end of
the summer.

My koi is now about 18inches long and I only paid $5 for it in the pet
store.

I have two others now in my pond and they are doing well

Tomatolord

. com...