Old 24-06-2007, 10:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default John & other Aussies - TQOC, Cairns, 6-8 June 2008

Tropical Queensland Orchid Conference, Cairns, Friday 6 June to Sunday 8 June
2007.

Probably most who might have considered won't come because of commitment to the
much more major conference in Perth in September.

This one is a regional one, held annually over the Queen's Birthday long
weekend, with the venue in a different tropical city/town each year.

I went to the one in Townsville last year, partly because that's my old stamping
ground. I enjoyed myself - good company, bought some nice orchids, good bush
house tours, & my own touring after the conference. But, in my opinion, the
speaker list was fairly ordinary.

This year it was in Ingham, with accommodation difficulties, & we had other
plans anyway.

Next year:
For those who need an excuse to visit far NQ, here's a good one. The speaker
list looks good, though topics have yet to be announced:
Kevin Butler
Phil Spence
Murray Shergold
Bruce Gray
Geoff Stocker
By the way, it's a general conference, not ANOS

The programme briefly (registration pays for everything except the coach tours):

Friday afternoon & evening: Registration; Tabling plants; Mayoral reception
Saturday: Tabling plants; Judging; speakers (9.45 to 4.15);
Dinner & trophy presentation
Sunday: Show continues; am & pm nursery & bush house coach tours;
Dinner & plant auction; end

I believe there will be a sale area, including several nurseries; there
certainly was in Townsville.

If anyone is interested I can send them scanned copies of the material available
so far, or you can email the secretary at
Also, ph 07 4053 1334
Dave Gillingham

Rate This Thread: