Old 23-01-2008, 02:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Closeup of flowers

Laelia anceps x C. Summer Stars
Attached Thumbnails
Closeup of flowers-l-anceps-x-c-summerstars-1037-01635.jpg
Old 24-01-2008, 05:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Closeup of flowers [1/1]

Hmm, makes my Laelia Anceps flower look a bit sad - still, I'll blame
the English weather (it hasn't stopped raining since the end of May last
year!)

Peter

In message , Wendy7
writes
Laelia anceps x C. Summer Stars
[ A MIME image / jpeg part was included here. ]

--
Peter Cliff
Fisheries.co.uk

Attached Thumbnails
Closeup of flowers-laelia-anceps-flower.jpg

Old 28-01-2008, 09:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Peloric - now that's a new one on me so I must do some research! (Have
only been growing orchids for a couple of years so still in the
beginner's class).

As for the weather, England has always been notorious for its rain but
that's what makes the country so lush and green. Global warming,
however, means that we are now seeing more and more floods with several
towns on rivers like the Severn being hit increasingly regularly. We
had particularly bad floods in July last year (mid summer!) and
householders who had only just managed to get their properties dried out
and re-fitted found they were under water again earlier this month. The
prediction is for stormier but warmer winters.

Anyway, must get back to finding out whether Peloric is a good thing or
bad...

Peter

In message , Wendy7
writes
Yours looks like it's peloric Peter, not sure will leave it to the experts.
Gosh, how much rain do you get a year? I think we are lucky to get 2"!!!
Cheers Wendy
"Peter Cliff" wrote in message

Hmm, makes my Laelia Anceps flower look a bit sad - still, I'll blame
the English weather (it hasn't stopped raining since the end of May last
year!)

Peter

--------

In message , Wendy7
writes
Laelia anceps x C. Summer Stars
[ A MIME image / jpeg part was included here. ]

-- Peter Cliff
Fisheries.co.uk

--
Peter Cliff
Publishing Editor
Fisheries.co.uk
Old 30-01-2008, 01:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Peter, Since we last posted, a couple of things, we were talking about
rain. Amazingly we have had 11inches in the
last few days. This is a record here in S.Calif.
Also my other Laelia anceps has opened & looks more like yours.
Not really fair to compare them with my other one which is crossed with a
Cattleya.
Now if you don't mind I would like to post your pic along with mine in a
new post, mainly to
get some input on "peloric"
Cheers Wendy

"Peter Cliff" wrote in message

Hmm, makes my Laelia Anceps flower look a bit sad - still, I'll blame
the English weather (it hasn't stopped raining since the end of May last
year!)

Peter

In message , Wendy7
writes
Laelia anceps x C. Summer Stars
[ A MIME image / jpeg part was included here. ]

--
Peter Cliff
Fisheries.co.uk

Attached Thumbnails
Closeup of flowers-l-anceps-chamberlainiana2043-01642.jpg

Old 30-01-2008, 10:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

By definition, pelorism (peloria?) occurs in a flower structure when there
is symmetry that is unexpected. In Peter's plant, that would be the petals
appearing to be like the lip, but sometimes it's the lip looking more like
the other petals.

Sometimes, folks will equate any unusual structure with the word "peloric",
but unless the symmetry factor is present, it's just "deformed".

"Wendy7" wrote in message
[...]

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Bilbergia closeup Wendy7 Garden Photos 9 03-05-2009 11:55 PM
Gasteria Closeup of flowers Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 25-03-2008 04:36 PM
Golden Gate Orchids - Masdevallia glandulosa closeup Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 26-11-2006 03:08 PM
Lip closeup - Vanda tricolor Eric Hunt Orchids 0 11-01-2005 05:40 PM
Lip closeup - Laelia autumnalis Eric Hunt Orchids 0 11-01-2005 05:37 PM