Old 11-04-2008, 07:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Blue lip day - 1: Chysis bractescens x2

Just took this today; unfortunately my camera doesn't have a manual
focus and seemed to want to focus on the buds behind the flower in
question. This is Chysis bractescens coerulea 'Hermosa Dawn' CHM/AOS. I
got this as a small division last year from the man who had gotten the
CHM on it. I was hoping enough flowers would be in bloom to justify
losing sleep before a 10-hour day on my feet at work this weekend to
drive it down an hour (and an hour back) to someone who is going the
further hour to the judging center. It has 21 buds, about five open or
half-open today. And a very faint sweet fragrance. I've bloomed two
chysis before, Langleyensis and limminghei. They're odd plants and this
one is hanging in a basket sideways in sphagnum with large CHC mixed in
to help it stay hydrated and assist in re-wetting it if gets dry. Sort
of looks a little like a giant upside-down catasetum. I'm just glad that
with the new GH I have room for it; I could never have managed this
large plant in the growrooms under lights. The lip isn't very clear in
the larger pic so there's a close-up too.

Attached Thumbnails
Blue lip day - 1: Chysis bractescens x2-bractescenscoeruleahermosadawnchm.jpg   Blue lip day - 1: Chysis bractescens x2-bractescenscoerulealipclose.jpg

Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Very nice, Tennis. I've grown langleyensis for a while with no problem. I've
discovered the bractescens is not the problem I thought it might be from
what I've read. I grow the largest is a 14" wire basket hung sideways. I
have smaller ones growing in pots hanging sideways. One in a 5" pot is
blooming about 3 years from flask. The pictures I showed above were of the
larger plant which I purchased from someone selling species he imported
above 5 years ago. I'd love to see one of mine with a blue lip.
Gary

"tenman" wrote in message
[...]

Rate This Thread: