Old 18-05-2008, 10:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Masdevallia leptoura

Attached Thumbnails
Masdevallia leptoura-m.leptoura-2-.jpg
Old 20-05-2008, 04:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

keith kent wrote:

Put this on the colossus and see if you can get the stripe in a larger
flower.....

Old 21-05-2008, 07:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Just so i am on the same wave length K , we are talking crossing pollen ?
I have been thinking of trying crossing Collosus with another.

Regards Keith

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 22-05-2008, 03:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

yes, taking the pollen of the colossus and putting it on the leptoura.
Usually you put the larger flower on the smaller flower, something
about the smaller flower not being able to generate a pollen tube all
the way to the ovary of the larger flower. Also there's the influence
of the extra-nuclear DNA/RNA of the pod parent...maybe helping to make
the stripe come out more.

keith kent wrote:
Just so i am on the same wave length K , we are talking crossing pollen ?
I have been thinking of trying crossing Collosus with another.

Regards Keith

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 22-05-2008, 05:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi K,

I have tried crossing both,see if i get a seed pod ?,
Thanks Keith

. ..

keith kent wrote:
Just so i am on the same wave length K , we are talking crossing pollen ?
I have been thinking of trying crossing Collosus with another.

Regards Keith

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 23-05-2008, 03:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Good going! Label both and date them. Then somewhere online is a list
of pod times - that is the length of time it takes for a pod to ripen.
I don't know about masdevallias. I know Cattleyas are about 3-4 months.
Then you can either send it to flask up before it opens (dehisces) or
very quickly thereafter (like within days.) So start asking around your
area for a flasking service.

Old 23-05-2008, 04:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the interesting link K,

Dendrobium kingianum does`nt hang about ! 64 days to green pod.
Regards Keith

. ..

keith kent wrote:
Hi K,

I have tried crossing both,see if i get a seed pod ?,
Thanks Keith

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

My Masdevallia Measuresiana has tiny leaves Tryphon Orchids 0 01-04-2004 06:54 PM
Ailing Masdevallia - any hope of recovery? Ben Durbin Orchids 4 10-11-2003 12:32 PM
masdevallia kinglet seaecho Orchids 3 06-11-2003 01:02 AM
help with a Masdevallia Copper Angel disy Orchids 12 10-08-2003 12:02 AM
masdevallia tbell Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM