Old 28-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Cymbos blowing over?

For those of you who put your Cymbidiums (or other plants) outdoors for the
summer, do your plants blow over in thunderstorms?

I have my plants on one of those cheap three level plant stands. The wire
shelves are about 8 inches deep. It provides a nice display of plants as
long as the wind is calm.

This spring I solved my tip over problem....Take an empty plastic flower pot
and run a piece of wire through the drain holes at the bottom and around the
wire shelf. Now take your precious orchid and sit it in the wired pot. The
wind blows and the plant doesn't go anywhere. You can still move the plants
around to grow evenly or to check for critters.

I've been meaning to post this for some time. Tonight, we had 50 mph wind
preceeding a storm and I just went out and not an orchid on the ground. I
wish I could say the same about the wire trellis with the cucumbers growing
on it.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 28-07-2005, 04:51 AM
wendy7

A good tip Gene, but not sure about the tri level plant stand? Could you
post a pic?

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 29-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Gene Schurg

Wendy,

It looks like this one (but I only paid about $25 at Michaels Arts and
Crafts several years ago).

http://www.simplegardens.com/plant%20stand%201.html

The type of shelf isn't important as long as you can secure the flower pot
to it.

Good Growing
Gene

Old 29-07-2005, 03:54 AM
wendy7

I am looking for simple type shelving this is why I was curious. Will check
out Michaels.
Thanks.