Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
williemcd

Default Yet another newbie.

I know I'm supposed to lurk for a bit before asking for help but.. I
used to belong to a few Orchid groups and can't recall which ones! So.
I got started a few years ago by buying the "spent" or half dead plants
at one of the large home improvement stores.. Generally, 5-6$ apiece.
Without thought, I repotted my dend's with agressive splitting of the
plants. Then I read, they like to be a bit crowded! Oh well. But the
questions I have:
The dends are coming back, lots of new growth, good root structure but
each have old bare stalks (pseudo bulbs?) remaining. Should these be
clipped off? They have been bare for approx. a year.
Phals. The one's I managed to pick up had severe sunburn but I am
seeing new growth in the center, and again good root structure. Should
I cut off the sunburnt leaves? Any help/suggestions will be most
appreciated. Bill in Richmond, Va.