Old 04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
williemcd

Default Yet another newbie.

I know I'm supposed to lurk for a bit before asking for help but.. I
used to belong to a few Orchid groups and can't recall which ones! So.
I got started a few years ago by buying the "spent" or half dead plants
at one of the large home improvement stores.. Generally, 5-6$ apiece.
Without thought, I repotted my dend's with agressive splitting of the
plants. Then I read, they like to be a bit crowded! Oh well. But the
questions I have:
The dends are coming back, lots of new growth, good root structure but
each have old bare stalks (pseudo bulbs?) remaining. Should these be
clipped off? They have been bare for approx. a year.
Phals. The one's I managed to pick up had severe sunburn but I am
seeing new growth in the center, and again good root structure. Should
I cut off the sunburnt leaves? Any help/suggestions will be most
appreciated. Bill in Richmond, Va.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Bob Walsh

Bill,

Leave the old pseudobulbs until they are brown and dry (may be years) unless
they turn mushy. Until then they contribute to the plant.

I would leave the sunburned leaves untill they to fall off.

Welcome back, if you were here, and welcome any way if you were not here.

$5.00 plants can be good to start with. Sounds like you passed and can move
up to more spendy plants.

Bob

oups.com...

Old 04-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Niek Hanckmann

My general rule for orchids: Don't cut anything off unless:

1. You are going to bring the plant in for a show/jury
2. What you are planning to cut off is completely dead and dried (it
will probably come off by itself)
3. It is rotting or spreading diseases.

Old pseudobulbs and mottled leaves are still useful for a plant as a
backup supply.

Grtz. Niek

Old 05-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:05:07 +0200, Niek Hanckmann
wrote:

My general rule for orchids: Don't cut anything off unless:

1. You are going to bring the plant in for a show/jury
2. What you are planning to cut off is completely dead and dried (it
will probably come off by itself)
3. It is rotting or spreading diseases.

Old pseudobulbs and mottled leaves are still useful for a plant as a
backup supply.

Grtz. Niek

Very good advice. Many Dendrobiums do not bloom on new growth.
Many more will bloom on several back canes at the same time they
bloom on the newest ones. These get more spectacular every year.
I never cut old canes except rot until they powder apart in my
hands because they are so dried out.

Poor Phal. I have one the neighbor sunburned. Sometimes it will
cause the plant to loose an extra leaf or two. Again... no
cutting unless rot or 'show' needs. If you are visiting an
orchid society (I recommend joining others in your area to grow
well) and taking the plant for show and tell table or display -
Make it look good. No bad foliage.. But to grow strong... every
bit of green helps and old leaves will eventually separate on
their own.
SuE
Old 05-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Al

According to Rob"s Rules, for orchids (applied to newbies) there always room
for one more.

These are good rules.

Older leaves that a re yellowing slowly are doing more than just dying.
Many nutrients/minerals are not fixed in plant cells and as a leaf dies the
moveable ones are translocated to younger leaf, root and stem tissue where
they can be reused. When the plant has finished moving all the usable
material out the leaf will generally come off with a light tug.

Old psuedobulbs work the same way, except more so: because they ARE storage
units.

A well fed, well cared for plant will still loose old bulbs and leaves, but
not as fast as one that is starved for nutrients, light water, etc... A
good grower needs to learn the difference. And that is done though
observation, time and patents...and probably a high orchid kill ratio for
many of us, but not necessarily.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Steve

Al wrote:
According to Rob"s Rules, for orchids (applied to newbies) there always room
for one more.

I don't know. When I was a newbie, there was always room for 5 or 6
more. NOW there is only room for one more, always.

Steve :-)
Old 17-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Marty

You may want read this... we had a little discussion about stalk
cutting here. Few tips you may find useful.

http://www.orchidboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102

Marty