Old 26-08-2005, 09:17 AM
NN

Default cold growing orchids

Hi !

Is there someone's there can tell me the names on someone's of they most
cold growing

Epiphytes. Justlike Coelogyne christata.

They must applies to seedpropagation

(Please my britich language. I writing via a translations program )

Alex Madsen

Danmark

--
Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 68 spam-mails.

Old 26-08-2005, 02:23 PM

NN wrote:
Is there someone's there can tell me the names on someone's of they most
cold growing

Epiphytes. Justlike Coelogyne christata.

They must applies to seedpropagation

Your English is fine. I just hope you are able to read my reply.

It depends what you mean by "cold growing." If you mean plants that
experience cold winter temperatures, then the two hardiest epiphytes
are probably Dendrobium moniliforme and Epidendrum magnoliae (syn.
Epidendrum conopseum). D. moniliforme has the most northern range of
any Asian epiphyte, and Epidendrum magnoliae the most northern range of
any American epiphyte. I have also seen references to Neofinetia
falcata grown outdoors in Yokohama, Japan. Since Yokohama occasionally
has snow, N. falcata must be fairly hardy.

All three of these species are dormant in the cold winter. When
actually growing, they want hot, humid conditions. At the northern
extent of its range in North Carolina, Epidendrum magnoliae is found
along the coast and usually over water. Therefore, it is probably
protected from the more severe frosts that would occur inland at the
same latitude.

If you mean plants that actually grow in cool conditions, then you want
to look at cloud forest epiphytes -- things like Dendrobium
cuthbertsonii and Telipogon species. The higher the altitude, the more
cold-tolerant the plant will be. However, cloud forest tropicals
usually will not survive frost, and they are also intolerant of high
summer temperatures.

I hope this helps.

Nick