Old 31-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Marty

Default My new & effective (and harmless) way of pest control ? READ ON ...

Some of you might find my way of getting rid of millipedes and slugs
from my terrarium quite useful. I will be repeating this treatment few
more times, just to be on the safe side. This might work quite well in
controlling certain pests on small collections.

Read full post with pictures he

http://www.orchidboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119

Marty
www.OrchidBoard.com - sign up! It's free, fun & with no gimmicks

Old 31-08-2005, 01:58 PM
jadel

Marty wrote:
Some of you might find my way of getting rid of millipedes and slugs
from my terrarium quite useful. I will be repeating this treatment few
more times, just to be on the safe side. This might work quite well in
controlling certain pests on small collections.

If you want to suffocate the pests--

light a small candle in the tank, then seal the top. The candle will
use up all the oxygen very quickly. Same result without all the fuss
with dry ice. The tank shouldn't get too warm if you use a little
votive candle.

J. Del Col

Old 31-08-2005, 03:44 PM
?

On 30 Aug 2005 20:01:21 -0700 in .com Marty wrote:

Some of you might find my way of getting rid of millipedes and slugs
from my terrarium quite useful. I will be repeating this treatment few
more times, just to be on the safe side. This might work quite well in
controlling certain pests on small collections.

Read full post with pictures he

http://www.orchidboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119

Hrm, any thoughts on whether or not this would be effective against
spider mites?
(Neem seems to be keeping them in check this time, but I really don't
want to put neem on some african violets that I think may be the
hiding place).

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 02-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Steve

jadel wrote:
Marty wrote:

Some of you might find my way of getting rid of millipedes and slugs
from my terrarium quite useful. I will be repeating this treatment few
more times, just to be on the safe side. This might work quite well in
controlling certain pests on small collections.

If you want to suffocate the pests--

light a small candle in the tank, then seal the top. The candle will
use up all the oxygen very quickly. Same result without all the fuss
with dry ice. The tank shouldn't get too warm if you use a little
votive candle.

Well, that idea would certainly be easier for me since I have no idea
how far I might have to travel to buy dry ice.
I do wonder though. I wonder how much oxygen a candle needs to keep
burning and I wonder how much oxygen various insects need to survive. In
other words, might the candle go out while there is still enough oxygen
for insects to survive? (I'm not claiming that to be true. I'm just
wondering.)
I'm also wondering about the plants. If there is light, they will be
making oxygen to replace what the flame used up as soon as the flame
goes out. So do it at night.... Don't plants require oxygen too? Sure
they do and at night they only consume it, not produce it. I suppose a
plant could survive with very low oxygen longer than an insect? Are we sure?

Steve