Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-10-2005, 05:15 PM
K Barrett

Default stored water reportt

I placed 3 55-gallon drums filled with water in my GH when the weather
turned cooler. In N calif where I am the winters aren't terribly cold.
I wanted to see if the thermal mass of the water would reduce the
demand on my heater.

Here's my mixed report.

As some of you may recall I believed any gas savings I would have
received was offset by the cost of the water to fill these 3 drums. I
just got my water bill, did the math and the cost for the water was
$1.30. So there went that theory, for the better.

However, on the bad side, the weather here has been very mild. Night's
falling to about 56F. According to my min/max mercury thermometer the
GH stayed about 61-62F at night. We did have one cold night, it got to
42F and (!) the heater came on. When I awoke in the AM the the GH was
68!!! There went that savings, LOL!! I reset the thermostat.

Mulligans

K Barrett