Old 06-11-2005, 02:32 PM
bob

Default ORHID GROWTH AND SMI DARKNESS.

Duing hurricne Wilma I had the hurricane shutters up while I hunkered
down in NJ. All the orchids were brought in from the patio. and were in
the semi darknes until I returnd 3 weeks later. The spikes were
unbelivably longer. Can the semidarkness be the answer Flower bloom was
intense also. The only moistue they received was from the humidity in
the house (S.E. Florida). Any thoughts on this?
Bob

Old 06-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Ray

Low light probably led to the extended inflorescences, but it would have
been the overall vigor of the plants in the first place that affected the
flowers themselves, except possibly for the color.

oups.com...

Old 07-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Kenni Judd

Low light will definitely produce longer spikes, and can affect flower color
in many plants (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse). Your
time period of 3 weeks doesn't sound long enough to produce the "swan song"
syndrome -- intense stress can result in great flower production, as a
last-gasp effort to reproduce. Kenni

oups.com...

Old 07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
bob

I would like to thank all who took their valuble time to assist me in
my attempts at trying to understand what is going on.
Bob