Old 21-11-2005, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
charles VanDyke

Default angrechum distichum

At a recent orchid meeting I displayed an orchid with many small white
flowers called angrechum distichum. Several in attendance mentioned that
this is the "former" name of this plant and that the genus name has been
changed. But they didn't recall how it is now classified.

Anyone know the reclassified genus?

Thanks

Charles VanDyke
Old 22-11-2005, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Niek Hanckmann

Hello Charles,

I can't rember having read anything about recent changes in the genus
Angreacum. I searched some internet sites and the only thing recent I
came up with was the synonym Angraecum poppendickianum published by
Szlachetko and Olszewski in 2001. But that is not a change in genus name.
Could it have been that people have only mentioned the wrongly spelled
name Angrechum?

Greets, Niek

Old 23-11-2005, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:57:51 -0500 in charles VanDyke wrote:
At a recent orchid meeting I displayed an orchid with many small white
flowers called angrechum distichum. Several in attendance mentioned that
this is the "former" name of this plant and that the genus name has been
changed. But they didn't recall how it is now classified.

Anyone know the reclassified genus?

Does this look like the plant?
http://www.plantfacts.com/Family/Orc...istichum.shtml

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 24-11-2005, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Karen

I also know nothing about any renaming in the genus Angreacum.

What I often see is Angraecum bancoense and distichum being confused,
bancoense has sligthly smaller flowers - but beside from that they look
pretty much the same, and when out of flower I have a hard time telling
them apart.

Another species that sometimes gets labeled as Angraecum distichum is
Microsaccus griffithii, grifftithii does look a lot like distichum (if
you dont know any better), however, it is a smaller plant and flowers
usually in pairs (which "mirrors" each other).

Charles, it would be good to know what you were told more exactly, any
reclassification would be interesting to investigate, but I also have
not heard of such a thing... could you ask them nexxt time you see
them, and let us know what they were talking about?