Old 21-11-2005, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tbell

Default Blooming Miltassias

I've had Miltassias Cairns and Royal Robe for three and four years. They're
both growing very nicely and crowding their pots, but refuse to bloom.
They're in S/H, in high light, in my intermediate-warm greenhouse with 60%
humidity. I water every 1-2 weeks depending on the season, and fertilize
three out of four waterings with 150 ppm MSU. I have succeeded in blooming
four or five other Oncids.
Any ideas on how to jump start them?
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Old 21-11-2005, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hm. Sounds like you are doing everything right, Tom. Royal Robe is blooming
now for us on 3 spikes, in a 4" pot. The only thing I can think of is more
light, but you say they get plenty.

Maybe they just aren't old enough?

Diana

Old 22-11-2005, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

tbell wrote:
I've had Miltassias Cairns and Royal Robe for three and four years. They're
both growing very nicely and crowding their pots, but refuse to bloom.
They're in S/H, in high light, in my intermediate-warm greenhouse with 60%
humidity. I water every 1-2 weeks depending on the season, and fertilize
three out of four waterings with 150 ppm MSU. I have succeeded in blooming
four or five other Oncids.
Any ideas on how to jump start them?
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Hi Tom, Neither of those plants wants to dry out. We water twice A WEEK
!! and you are definitely overfertilizing. Miltassias also like to be
potbound if they are in too big of a pot, you'll have trouble. Hope
this helps, if not go to my website & click on Care. Bill
http://www.orchidislandorchids.com

Old 22-11-2005, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

As they're in S/H culture, it's not an issue, Bill.

FWIW, I have those same plants, and they delayed blooming until they were
pretty much pot bound.

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 22-11-2005, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tbell

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:35:02 -0800, Ray wrote
(in article ):

As they're in S/H culture, it's not an issue, Bill.

FWIW, I have those same plants, and they delayed blooming until they were
pretty much pot bound.

Thanks, Diana, Bill and Ray for your feedback. Mine are beginning to be
potbound, so there is hope!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70