Old 16-12-2005, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
James Aldridge

Default Galeandra batemanii

I was wondering if anyone had cultural advice for this spp. I have
killed a couple, I think by overwatering them when they were leafless.

Mine have bloomed and are now losing their leaves. How dry should I
let them get? They're small and potted in sphagnum.

Thanks.

Jim
James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
www.JamesAldridge.com -
Old 16-12-2005, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I was not aware they were deciduous, Jim. Until I gave it away, mine was in
S/H culture for nearly three years.

Old 18-12-2005, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
James Aldridge

Ray,

I think they are, or at least they are under some circumstances. This
from Countryside Orchids:

Galeandra batemanii (I/W)
Mexico to Costa Rica. This seasonally deciduous species bears flowers
with yellow-brown sepals and petals with the lip purple toward the
apex and white at the base.

Jim

Old 18-12-2005, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Hi James, I have one & almost lost it by over watering it when dormant.
After blooming some of its leaves yellow, I move it to a special shelf
for plants that just get a little misting.
Mine is potted in a fine mix of everything.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply