Old 18-12-2005, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
TonyB

Default Spike showing new growth

On my Phal the spike is showing new growth. It seems like its a bulb
shape on a tiny stem. Makes me nervous about the that tiny stem. It
looks so fragile. Is this normal? Is the bloom in that bulb? How long
will it take from that stage to open up? Weeks, months? Thanks
Old 18-12-2005, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Tony,

If I am picturing this correctly, what you are looking at is the formation
of a flower. That's what we hope for! Have you supported the spike yet? The
flower will take some time to open.

Diana

Old 19-12-2005, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Tony,
How tall is the spike at this point? Is this a new spike or a spike that has
previously flowered and is now showing new activity? If it is an old spike
that is reflowering, the blooms tend to be less impressive but the time
between beginning of new activity and flowering is shorter than if it is a
new spike. Generally I would not expect flowering on a new spike in less
than a month or two at least -- and some Phals take longer than that from
initial spiking to flowering, so be patient and enjoy the spike and bud for
its own sake for now.
Best,
Joanna

Old 19-12-2005, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
TonyB

"TonyB" wrote in message

On my Phal the spike is showing new growth. It seems like its a bulb shape
on a tiny stem. Makes me nervous about the that tiny stem. It looks so
fragile. Is this normal? Is the bloom in that bulb? How long will it take
from that stage to open up? Weeks, months? Thanks

Yes, its a new spike, I had cut back the old. The height of the spike is
about 5" and its staked. I fertilized it saturday with 20-20-20. Thank
you all

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
new growth showing in cane Tony Orchids 1 05-09-2005 04:58 PM
New growth finally showing Anthona Orchids 5 20-08-2005 02:08 AM
Flower life / spike growth bk Orchids 5 29-01-2005 11:22 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM