Old 13-02-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default Oncidium

I have three Oncidiums from Port Alegre in south Brazil, for about five
years. I am dividing and repotting from wood crate pots to hole filled
ceramic. They have never bloomed and have struggled but multiplied.
They, when unpotted and cleaned show good root growth but the bark,
charcoal and coconut fiber was rotten. I am not knowledeable in this
but have read much. I plan to use smooth rock for one pot, bark mix for
one and am working on the third. Any suggestions on all this? Sure want
these plants to do well but reading how is easier than doing it :-).
Also am trying to identify them. They were wild orchids, reportedly,
the pods are about the size of a pecan, they have two leaves on each
pod, about 1/2" wide and 12" long, thin leaves, not the thick type.
Also they are tough, having survived my care this long. I move them
around in my yard to control the light to dappled sun to light shade,
the leaf color leads me on that. They seem to grow in the spring and
like a little cool weather.
Will send a pic if anyone wants to identify them for me. So far
searching the web has left me gasping for air, there are MANY Oncidiums
in this world!
Newbie
Jtill
Baytown, Texas

Old 15-02-2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

jtill wrote:
[...]

Hi Jill, Go to : http://www.orchidislandorchids.com & click on care.
This will give you "how to grow" information-- I have to see pictures
to identify plants. Good luck, Bill

Old 16-02-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 15 Feb 2006 05:03:48 -0800, "Bill" wrote:

jtill wrote:
Will send a pic if anyone wants to identify them for me. So far
searching the web has left me gasping for air, there are MANY Oncidiums
in this world!
Newbie
Jtill
Baytown, Texas

Hi Jill, Go to : http://www.orchidislandorchids.com & click on care.
This will give you "how to grow" information-- I have to see pictures
to identify plants. Good luck, Bill

Jtill -
Do not post pictures to this news group. IF you can access it we have
a sister group in the binaries section. Post at
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids. You will find most of the same people
over there.

If you can not post to the binaries group, post it to a website and
give us the url to view it. This is a text only group and most ISP's
just scrape out the binaries that are posted. SO it would not be
seen.

SuE

Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 03:44 PM
Oncidium flexorum Paulo Orchids 19 04-07-2003 05:56 PM
Oncidium and Repotting Paulo Orchids 3 15-05-2003 12:56 AM
Oncidium Paulo Orchids 2 15-04-2003 11:32 AM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM