Old 27-02-2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andie Z

Default Broken Clay Pots for Potting Medium

I have a lot of broken clay pots. Are they recommended as an added item in
potting medium? I was considering doing so.

Andie Z

Old 27-02-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Andie Z wrote:
I have a lot of broken clay pots. Are they recommended as an added item in
potting medium? I was considering doing so.

Andie Z

Recommended? I don't know... There is nothing magic about clay shards.
A lot of people use a broken bit of clay pot in the bottom of a new
pot to keep medium from falling out. But that isn't usually necessary
either, especially with most orchid mixes.

But, if the pot shards are clean (new, or sterilized if from used pots),
there really isn't any reason _not_ to add them to a potting mix. If
you hammer them up to the right size. Can see any harm to it. Seems
like a lot of work, though.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 28-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie Z
I have a lot of broken clay pots. Are they recommended as an added item in
potting medium? I was considering doing so.

Andie Z
In Malaysia, they smash new pots & bricks for use as the orchid medium itself, or in conjunction with charcoal.

I use Seramis, which is fired clay granules for most orchids.

I would advise against using old pots that may be saturated with salts, though.

Weng
Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Moderate to finely ground terracotta is an excellent potting medium for
species needing more air.

Significant drawbacks include virus and fungal rot transmission, and
the retention (and release) of a heavy amount of salts from repeated
fertilization and hard water deposits.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Location: England

---

Reka, I use pure Seramis as a regular medium (no crocking), water with rainwater & very little fertilizer. I only need to repot when the plant gets too big for the pot. Watering is easy - with a hose-pipe when the surface changes colour :-)

I used to grow epiphytes in 10cm perlag (a harder version of perlite) in terracotta pots, and terrestrials in Seramis in plastic pots. About 6 years ago, I wondered if Doritis might also grow in Seramis. Then Doritaenopsis, then Phalaenopsis, then some Dendrobiums followed. Only Ascocentrum, Aerides, Cattleya, Laelia, Oncidium & Vanda are now in perlag.

Popular orchids currently in Seramis (not mentioned) are Coelogyne, Cypripedium, Disa, Paphiopedilum & Phragmipedium.

I don't do too well with Cymbidium though.

Weng
Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:33:46 +0000, Weng
wrote:

Reka, I use pure Seramis as a regular medium (no crocking), water with
rainwater & very little fertilizer. I only need to repot when the
plant gets too big for the pot. Watering is easy - with a hose-pipe
when the surface changes colour :-)

I used to grow epiphytes in 10cm perlag (a harder version of perlite)
in terracotta pots, and terrestrials in Seramis in plastic pots. About
6 years ago, I wondered if Doritis might also grow in Seramis. Then
Doritaenopsis, then Phalaenopsis, then some Dendrobiums followed. Only
Ascocentrum, Aerides, Cattleya, Laelia, Oncidium & Vanda are now in
perlag.

Popular orchids currently in Seramis (not mentioned) are Coelogyne,
Cypripedium, Disa, Paphiopedilum & Phragmipedium.

I don't do too well with Cymbidium though.

Weng

I grow all the Cym in Semi-Hydro with great success. The Cym Golden
Elf has broken several pots because the roots grew so strong. Much
better root structure than other methods we have tried.

Weng, have you read Ray's discussion on Semi-Hydro? It uses a solid
pot with weep holes out the side up about 2 finger widths. That way
there is some reservoir of water but it is not hard to flush or for
the plant to breath.