Old 29-04-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default Ocidiums in Baskets?

I have this huge Oncidium that I bought off Ebay two years ago. It
is/was hard to pot. I have lost the tag and had it in a plastic weave
basket with Lava Rock. It is starting to grow but I was unhappy with
the whole arrangement. Put it into a Coconut Fiber lined hanging basket
and that looks "Right". Can I just not fill the basket? Fill with
PrimeAgra? Moss? L. Rock? Do I just water it when the fiber dries out?
Keep it damp? Can other than Vandas be potted successfully this way? In
an empty basket?
Joe T
Houston
"Why take the easy route"

Old 29-04-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

If you stop to think about it, people dry mount all kinds of orchids, from
Phals to Catts to intergenerics and so on. I have mounted Oncidiums hanging
from Vanda baskets, so they get watered every morning when the Vanda system
comes on. I have Catts hanging under there, too, also mounted.

We have a big Onc. sphacelatum that is in a slat basket which is now about
falling apart. There's no media left in there. That gets watered a little
less, because the pbulbs are large and packed in there, and too much water
would cause rot for sure. When we repot, it will go into another slat
basket.

You just need to adjust watering to accomodate the way you choose to grow
the plant, and your own conditions.

HTH.........

Diana

Old 29-04-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

How long does your Vanda system stay on? Do you have fertilizer in that
system? Is it a spray or a mist? :))
Joe T

Old 29-04-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Currently, we have it set to come on twice daily for five minutes at a clip.
It has been so dry here for the last couple of months! It's a spray; Frank
used ordinary sprinkler heads and PVC pipe to install it. We have not hooked
it up to a fert feeder, so twice a week we take a hose end bottle and feed
in lieu of the second watering. At some point we'll need to add fert to the
system. The Vandas and their cousins love it. We avoid the hangers-on as
much as possible, but they don't seem to mind the overflow.

In the lanai extension there is also an overhead watering option, but we
haven't put it on a timer yet. Eventually we will, but for now it's easy
enough to just turn it on. Under the porch, where the Phals live, I water
with a hose.

Diana

Old 30-04-2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Thanks for that info. Useful.
jt