Old 18-06-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Richard

Default Paphiopedilum keiki

A friend of mine has a mottled-leaf paphiopedilum which instead of putting
up a flower spike, appears to have keiki'd. The plant is growing in a
south-facing window, the window has a shade and the plant is high up so it
doesn't get direct light. The keiki has five good-sized leaves, and you can
see bumps at the base where it might want to put out roots. The plant has
also put out new growth at the base. They said the plant's been like that
for a few months now. What can they do to encourage the roots to grow, and
then how long to let them grow before removing and repotting the plant?

Richard
Old 18-06-2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Sometimes paphs will grow vegetative appendages on the flower spike, but I
have never seen one actually grow roots and become a free-standing plant. I
suggest leaving it alone and letting it take its course, as at least it's
contributing to the photosynthesis.

. ..

Old 18-06-2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:33:29 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Sometimes paphs will grow vegetative appendages on the flower spike, but I
have never seen one actually grow roots and become a free-standing plant. I
suggest leaving it alone and letting it take its course, as at least it's
contributing to the photosynthesis.

I on the other hand, have seen them root. What is the breeding on
this plant, that is did it come with a name tag that says more than
Phalaenopsis? Some species like to grow by keikeis.

One way to encourage it is to suspend a container (pot) just at root
level keep moist sphagnum moss in the pot. If it wants to root, the
presence of a moist medium should encourage it. NOTE: I did NOT
suggest pushing the plantlet into the moss. You want the moist media
just available to encourage the root buds to develop. IF they do not
cut it from the main plant until the total root mass is over two
inches in combined length.

Another way -- if the spike is flexible enough and the pot/basket
large enough, tie the keikei back to Mom's basket where it can again
feel the moisture.
SuE
Old 19-06-2006, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Susan, he said Paph, not Phal. I've never seen that on any of my paphs,
but I guess it's possible.

Richard: Unless you are growing them in completely optimal conditions,
paphs tend not to successfully grow any roots unless the base of the growth
is in potting mix. If it has already tried to start growing roots then it
is probably large enough to cut it off of the main plant and put it in a
pot.

-danny

Old 19-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:00:20 -0400, "danny" wrote:

Susan, he said Paph, not Phal. I've never seen that on any of my paphs,
but I guess it's possible.

Richard: Unless you are growing them in completely optimal conditions,
paphs tend not to successfully grow any roots unless the base of the growth
is in potting mix. If it has already tried to start growing roots then it
is probably large enough to cut it off of the main plant and put it in a
pot.

-danny

You are so correct. I looked at the links someones paph and phal then
read this and transposed the words.
SuE

Old 20-06-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Richard

Susan Erickson wrote in
:

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:00:20 -0400, "danny" wrote:

Susan, he said Paph, not Phal. I've never seen that on any of my
paphs, but I guess it's possible.

Richard: Unless you are growing them in completely optimal
conditions, paphs tend not to successfully grow any roots unless the
base of the growth is in potting mix. If it has already tried to
start growing roots then it is probably large enough to cut it off of
the main plant and put it in a pot.

-danny

You are so correct. I looked at the links someones paph and phal then
read this and transposed the words.
SuE

Thanks all for your posts. I will give him your advice (whether he follows
it is another thing... LOL).

Richard

Paphiopedilum vietnamense and Paphiopedilum hermannii CITES and the EU freeflyer Orchids 4 30-06-2005 07:04 AM
sub-basal keiki? J Fortuna Orchids 6 13-03-2004 04:43 PM
Dendrobium keiki? John DeGood Orchids 1 07-09-2003 05:45 AM
Keiki Paste on Dendrobium Stems Merrill Speeter Orchids 1 29-05-2003 05:22 AM
Where can I get Keiki-Grow? Cardigan Orchids 2 06-05-2003 07:20 AM