Old 31-07-2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default ID help please.

Picked up 2 new orchids at home depot and need help ID'ing them if anyone
can recognize them.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/ufops.jpg A light greenish yellow
Phaleonopsis roughly 2 inches across. In the picture the petals look yellow
but they definitly have a greensih overtone to them. If viewed from the back
the petal looks predominatly green with a yellow overtone.It s as if the
front is teansparent yellow andthe back is transparent green.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/cattufo.jpg Unknown Cattleya

Old 31-07-2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:37:13 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:

Picked up 2 new orchids at home depot and need help ID'ing them if anyone
can recognize them.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/ufops.jpg A light greenish yellow
Phaleonopsis roughly 2 inches across. In the picture the petals look yellow
but they definitly have a greensih overtone to them. If viewed from the back
the petal looks predominatly green with a yellow overtone.It s as if the
front is teansparent yellow andthe back is transparent green.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/cattufo.jpg Unknown Cattleya

The first is a Phal. What hybrid out of the hundreds is hard to
say... try impossible.

The second is a Dendrobium probably a hybrid.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 31-07-2006, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
Picked up 2 new orchids at home depot and need help ID'ing them if anyone
can recognize them.

When you remove the plastic insert pot from the clay pot, look to see
if the plant name has been printed on the pot. I have purchased
clearance plants from stores and found the cultivar name on the pot.
Occasionally when you repot, there will be a tag in the bottom of the
pot.

Old 31-07-2006, 10:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

Picked up 2 new orchids at home depot and need help ID'ing them if anyone
can recognize them.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/ufops.jpg A light greenish yellow
Phaleonopsis roughly 2 inches across. In the picture the petals look yellow
but they definitly have a greensih overtone to them. If viewed from the back
the petal looks predominatly green with a yellow overtone.It s as if the
front is teansparent yellow andthe back is transparent green.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/cattufo.jpg Unknown Cattleya

The first is a Phal. What hybrid out of the hundreds is hard to
say... try impossible.

The second is a Dendrobium probably a hybrid.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

I agree with Susan about the second photo - almost certainly a Dendrobium hybrid
in the Phalaenanthe Section.
Dave Gillingham

Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Unfortuanately, none of the others are in bloom so I could not match them
up. Also I find the plastic sticks not very helpfull as someone finds it
funny to re arrange them.

I will check the pot though

Old 01-08-2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:26:56 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:

Unfortuanately, none of the others are in bloom so I could not match them
up. Also I find the plastic sticks not very helpfull as someone finds it
funny to re arrange them.

I will check the pot though

If the someone is in the household - take a hint for the locations
your checking. When you re-pot, bury a label. Cut it down or use a
smaller one. The sun will not damage it and you will be shocked at
how clear it will stay even in the compost we call mix.

Put that second buried label in every pot when your working on the
plant and you will always have an ace to keep your plants ID in tact.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

No, not the household... Just the poor un-mannered excuse for children and
the "human" race, and their lack of courtesy. You know the ones, those that
think the world owes them something and that their mom is right behind them
to pick every shirt/pants/socks/plants/ frozen bag of food /
plants/stickers/pricing signs/perishable items they jsut drop any old place
in the store when they decide not to buy it. I am sure you have seen them
pull the tags out of plants and then just toss them on the floor, or stick
them in another pot.....

My children in fact take great pleasure in tagging every pot for me. Maybe
it's because they get to play with the Dymo label maker!