Old 01-08-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Need Help

I am growing some "rescued" Lowe's orchids.
I actually got one, a Phal to boom. It has two spikes with blooms on each
and is gorgeous to me. My question is, on a smaller rescue, there are
leaves forming on the spike at the tip. The tip is dead back to the growth.
What do I need to do? Also, after the blooms are spent, what do you do to
the spike? I am a total innocent when it comes to these wonderful plants,
but I sure want to learn.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi, Claire,

the leaves growing on the spent spike, congratulations! You have a
keiki, which is a baby plant. Eventually, it will grow roots and you can pot
it up. When it flowers it will be identical to the parent plant. As far as
spent spikes are concerned, once they brown you can just cut them off at the
base, using a sterile tool or a new single edged razor blade. Some folks cut
them while they are still green, but I prefer to wait. Sometimes a green
spike will surprise us with a couple more blooms.

Welcome to rgo!

Diana